videorov

long hard-wired servo installation and controlling How to do this?

Has anyone used the servo signal emulators to control the servos over hard wire. I want to control panning

camera on 100ft hard wire in my underwater camera housing.

Has anyone controlled servos over hard wire. Not going to use a R/C receiver. Im wiring direct to servos that will

pan the camera on the 100ft cable.

How can this be done? I see that www.dpcav.com has a signal emulator (#MX8330)..

I see servo city has some hardware to control servos directly just by turning a knob and the servo will turn

while I turn the knob on their servo recorder.

Looks like their software can program the digital servos to move the way I want them to.

Yes this will work ok but if you want multiple servo's then you could send the standard pulse train over a co-ax or fibre optic cable.

Terry

I see where servo city also has a nice Pan-Tilt base for servos to use. Its heavier duty then I need but its not that big and

I could use it looks like in a Dome. http://www.servocity.com/html/spt200_pan___tilt_system.html

I found a place for for nice domes of all sizes loks like I can use too.

http://www.cleardomes.com/domes.htm?OVRAW=...WID=18111713522

I see on the recorder box each servo wire plugs into it. Would I have to have two wires for each servo

going down to them. I guess I will have only two servos Pan and Tilt in the unit. I can't think of any other

uses for more servos for this project.

Could I send the the pulse signals down one coax even if i want to control both at the ame time?

Are each of these servos using a diffrent pulse signal so each one knows Im talking to that one and not

the other even if on the a single coax cable?

I wonder how far the signal will travel over a good coax line? I hope 100ft.

I like the idea of using the software servo city has so I could program the servos if I want. But the recorder

box might be better sometimes because I could change the pan sequence and speed at anytime. Thats pretty neat.

Say I first had it panning a large area up to 360 degrees and then see an area that I would like to watch closer.

I then would record another pan sequence for just that area and then go back into play mode to pan just that area.

That would be cool.

Thanks for your help and info on this Terry.

Yes this will work ok but if you want multiple servo's then you could send the standard pulse train over a co-ax or fibre optic cable.

Terry

Hi, I'm into r/c submarines, and ROV's are interesting to me (but no experience

with ROV's unfortunately)

I have spoken to/seen people who connected the receiver antenna wire to the cable,

and positioned their R/C transmitter close to the other end of said cable and that worked nicely.

they basically swapped the radio waves air medium for a copper one.

dunno how far it would take you, but it might do the trick.

the main plus is that the rest can be readily and cheaply bought and will work reliably.

another ready-made solution would be to use ethernet (that gets you about 100 meters

when using decent ethernet cable) and an ethernet-endowed microcontroller in the ROV.

should be able to plug that into your laptop directly.

You would have to code the data transfers, the laptop control software and the micro controller

yourself.

Good luck with your project !

You will need to separate the pulses so each servo gets its own pulse or send them separately in the first place.

The question is how many wires do you want to use ?

Do you need to send power down the wires or are you using a battery ?

Are you sending live video back to the surface ?

Terry

Yes I will be sending video back to the surface. I will also send power to the camera. I send video over a

24 gauge two conductor with sheild wire. I send the 12volts over a 16 gauge 3 conductor wire.

All works fine over the 100ft distance I use right now with my none panning camera system.

I guess I will want to send the pulses for each servo over their own wires.

How many wires does it take for each servo. looks like two.

This joystick box servo city makes looks like it might be a cool thing to use.

The recorder box might be all I would need and would enable me to pan any amount I want like

if I just wanted to pan 75 degrees run a loop of that area over and over till I hit the stop button.

I could also go into a manual mode when I turn a knob the servo will turn. It would give me

more choices I think.

How far can those servo signals travel over wire?

Im getting some of my ideas together looks like.

Do you think the Hiteck servos are the beat to work with/ How would that large gear mount on the servo.

I saw it in the picture but trying to figure out what it on fastened to.

I guess I will be buying some of this stuff to start some testing. Will be fun to see how it will work out.

Looks like it should work and I have a few other ideas to add to it for some interesting fun.

You will need to separate the pulses so each servo gets its own pulse or send them separately in the first place.

The question is how many wires do you want to use ?

Do you need to send power down the wires or are you using a battery ?

Are you sending live video back to the surface ?

Terry

If your not limited by how many wires you have its easy. Yes 2 wires needed for a servo signal but 1 of them can be a shared ground. 100ft should be no problem.

Have a look for some of the servo stuff the robot guys use, I seem to remember seeing lots of mounts and gearboxes.

Terry

Yes Im not limited by the number of wires I can use.

Well I will start buying some stuff and get started with it.

If your not limited by how many wires you have its easy. Yes 2 wires needed for a servo signal but 1 of them can be a shared ground. 100ft should be no problem.

Have a look for some of the servo stuff the robot guys use, I seem to remember seeing lots of mounts and gearboxes.

Terry

Yes Im not limited by the number of wires I can use.

Well I will start buying some stuff and get started with it.

Videorov,

you don't have to do it more complcated than it needs to be!

For a pan/tilt servo controlled camera mount, get a cheap 2-channel radio, remove the antenna, solder 100ft coaxial straight to the RF board (where the antenna was), the shield to a ground, route the cable out of the TX case through the antenna hole.

In the ROV side, cut the shield a few cm shorter and expose the core and leave it hanging next to the receiver. Plug the servos and power to the receiver and that's it.

The 100ft coaxial will be a perfect attenuator and if you need to control proportionaly more stuff (impelers, bilge pumps, lights, switches, etc) just get a system with more channels.

Dimitris