Sign in to follow this  
aaron_gx

Video TX causing radio RX mayhem...

I just finished putting together my easystar, (first FPV plane). Anyways, onto the problem:

I have a 2.4ghz 200mW ebay transmitter installed, using a separate battery for power. Video transmission works great. No motor interference, or vibration problems to speak of. I have a 72mhz radio tx & rx, and when I power up the video TX, the servos jitter, and the motor runs (sometimes uncontrollably, and very dangerous!!!).

I have pinpointed the cause of the problem to the transmitter antenna. I tried ferrite magnets on the wiring harness for the video tx. If I remove the transmitter from the plane, and keep it about 1/2 foot away from the RX, everything is ok. The transmitter must be flooding the RX with resonant frequencies, and confusing it. I am about to try wrapping the RX in aluminum foil, and see if that will help at all.

What do you guys suggest? I understand 72mhz is the way to go for radio control while using 2.4ghz video... Is my only solution to find a mounting spot for the TX far away from my RX?

Hey Aaron,

I have had similar problems even with my spektrum 2.4 tx and a 900mz video transmitter. I really had to separate the video tx from the rc reciever. even the wires cause issues.

I tried wrapping things with alum foil too, sometimes I would think that it helped then other times it did nothing. At 2.4gz the foil really does nothing. If there is a pin prick hold the signal will get in there.

First and foremost keep the servo wires away from all video equipment. You can also take the video tx and sort of slowly pass it by different parts of the plane "looking" for problem areas. when the servo's go mad you know you gotta keep suff away from that area.

Good luck.

I just finished putting together my easystar, (first FPV plane). Anyways, onto the problem:

I have a 2.4ghz 200mW ebay transmitter installed, using a separate battery for power. Video transmission works great. No motor interference, or vibration problems to speak of. I have a 72mhz radio tx & rx, and when I power up the video TX, the servos jitter, and the motor runs (sometimes uncontrollably, and very dangerous!!!).

I have pinpointed the cause of the problem to the transmitter antenna. I tried ferrite magnets on the wiring harness for the video tx. If I remove the transmitter from the plane, and keep it about 1/2 foot away from the RX, everything is ok. The transmitter must be flooding the RX with resonant frequencies, and confusing it. I am about to try wrapping the RX in aluminum foil, and see if that will help at all.

What do you guys suggest? I understand 72mhz is the way to go for radio control while using 2.4ghz video... Is my only solution to find a mounting spot for the TX far away from my RX?

you might want to check that the voltage over the battery is not dropping below (say) 5.5 volts

I assume here you feed RC RX, speedcontroller, servo's and video stuff from a single battery.

the R/C often uses a regulated power source (called BEC), which needs a few tenths of a volt extra above the

voltage the R/X itself needs.

if the symptom is bench-testable you could consider hooking up two separate batteries, disconnecting the

R/C stuff from the Video stuff and see if the problem goes away.

if you think it is the RX, why not try to install another RX ?

borrow a few from friends and see if same or any better ?

some RX is not designed to handle a strong transmitter so close,

even if the frequency is like far far away, it sounds like bad designed RX,

it is also possible to have the problem in a servo.