rcbb85

smallest camera

We have a massive 400 ft 1/64 slot car track that we want to film...from inside the car!

The smallest thing I have seen out there is a 1/2 oz 1" sqaure camera, but it also has to hook up to a 9volt battery.

What I'm wondering:

1) Is there a smaller camera made than this?

2) Is there a camera that runs off watch-size batteries?

3) Could I draw off of the track voltage (22V) to power a 9volt camera in the car?

I would appreciate any suggestions,

Brian

What I'm wondering:

1) Is there a smaller camera made than this?

2)  Is there a camera that runs off watch-size batteries?

3)  Could I draw off of the track voltage (22V) to power a 9volt camera in the car?

I would appreciate any suggestions,

Brian

Of course there are smaller cameras.

Think about a colonoscopy! ;-)

But a 1" cam with the transmitter is pretty good. I have one from Aliveal that works quite well. http://www.aliveal.com.tw/

As for power... I would surely take it from the track. If you look inside the car you might already have a Voltage regulator in there. I don't really know the cars, but I'm guessing there would probably be one. If not, just get an appropriate one for the amount of power the camera will use.

Let us know if you post the video somewhere. I would love to see it.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mikep

I try not to think about colonoscopy. Butt seriously. That camera is very big. It recieves the image through coherent fiberoptic bundles which actlike a long flexible lens. Sorry to burst that bubble.

marty

Dr. Marty

Example of how small a wireless camera can be: http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/100402...ta_camera.shtml

Using track power might be problematic. It is very "noisy" and it is usually involves a variable voltage source (typically via rheostat hand control) that sets the speed of the vehicle. Those two gotchas will require some care on the camera end.

Here is a b/w cmos camera that I have tested. The resolution is pretty good considering the size. It is rated at 280 lines. It weighs 0.9 grams without connector.

Mark

post-6-1078634630_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark

and it is usually involves a variable voltage source (typically via rheostat hand control) that sets the speed of the vehicle.

Good point... I did not even think of that. I guess he'll just have to go full speed all the time! :-)

I see the battery as the main problem being heavy. If you only want to use the camera for a short time, maybe to get some shots for a promo video then I would make a battery out lithium button cells.

Terry

UK

Track power is an excellent solution. Use a small buck-boost regulator (actually, they can be made about the same size as the shown camera!!) to deliver final regulated (and stable) voltage to power the camera. By using a buck-boost it shouldn't matter about the input voltage "noise." As for the transmitter...as long as it's a ground based system (not airborn), a simple inductive wire , or better yet, use the track to return the video signal. Hope this helps.

Dr. Mike