Glad to hear you are working. The 470uF cap is needed and is customary in the video path, so you should add it back into the circuit. Your cap may have been installed backwards or was defective. Or, maybe it was 470pF rather than 470uF.

I now realise what I've been doing wrong - I was connecting the cap between the signal and the ground as you usually would, but I now see that the cap is being used differently and has the signal going through it. How does this occur? I was led to believe a cap has no direct through connection and yet the signal seems to travel through it OK......

Also, can you explain the role it plays? The video seems fine without it.......Confusing!!!

Any more info much appreciated - I really need to understand the what's, why's and how's to progress here........

THANX AGAIN!!

I now see that the cap is being used differently and has the signal going through it.

That is correct. It conveniently passes the video signal (because it is sort of "AC") but blocks the DC bias voltage that is not wanted.

Also, can you explain the role it plays? The video seems fine without it.......Confusing!!!

It probably worked in your case because your video display device had a similar cap in its input circuit for protection. However, it is bad practice to assume one will be there and so it should be installed on the Airwave modules for security. Just follow the data sheet examples and don't skip anything. Every part has a purpose.

FWIW, my experience with electronic assembly is that problems are rarely due to bad parts. In most cases it is something not wired correctly, bad solder connection, or other build issues. So, when things go wrong, do as you did, and go back and check the basics. That simple trick certainly solved this problem!