moti

VR920 USB connection

Hi all

I connect the VR920 to my laptop to the VGA out put and the video input via USB video capture.

I use it for FPV and it works perfect. Now I want to skip the laptop and connect the VR930 via composite to VGA converter. My question is what i have to do with the VR920 USB connector?.

If there is alternative power supply for the USB?? Or must i use the laptop anyway?? Because i use it as an FPV i use only the video signal. Please advice

Have a nice weekend

Moti

You can rig up a power supply and give it a usb plug. It's just 5V, take another usb cable and cut it open and you will see a black, red, white and green cable (white and green may be different). Just connect +5V to red and gnd to black and leave the signal wires disconnected.

You can rig up a power supply and give it a usb plug. It's just 5V, take another usb cable and cut it open and you will see a black, red, white and green cable (white and green may be different). Just connect +5V to red and gnd to black and leave the signal wires disconnected.

eickst,thank for your help

I did it but it doesn't works.

any suggestion?

Do the glasses power on but with no video or do they not power on at all? Without knowing how the device works internally I can't give any reason why it wouldn't turn on without a USB signal connection.

Does it work if you connect it to USB on a laptop and then connect the composite to VGA adapter into the VGA input of the goggles?

Do the glasses power on but with no video or do they not power on at all? Without knowing how the device works internally I can't give any reason why it wouldn't turn on without a USB signal connection.

Does it work if you connect it to USB on a laptop and then connect the composite to VGA adapter into the VGA input of the goggles?

Hi

This is what i did step by step

1.video in to the laptop via capture, VGA and USB glasses in to laptop-works perfect

2.video in to the laptop via capture, VGA disconnected USB connected no video glasses lite.

3. video in to the laptop via capture, VGA connected USB connected to external 5V no video and the glasses didn't lite

I tried also to connect the USB signal wires to the +5V via 10K resistor to 'wake up' the system but no change

Please advice

Have a nice day

Moti

Sounds like the glasses want a USB host to talk to even it it's just to get power in the end.

One of my phones does the same, if you only connect the power lines the charge light turns on, and off again. The supplied charger must have some chip that identifies itself.

One reason for that is that per USB specs a device may draw only up to 100mA on a port without saying anything, if it wants to draw the maximum 500mA it has to tell the host it wants to do so. Many devices out there don't respect that, but it seems yours does. So if it doesn't have communication it supposedly isn't allowed to draw the current it needs and won't turn on.

Moti,

go buy a cheap powered USB hub. That will power it and trick it into turning on.

Cheers

Dimitris

Hi Dimitris

I tried it,doesn't works.....look at the attached vuzix tech support reply:

"The VR920 requires a computer or Xbox 360 to work, and will not operate in any other environment. The USB cable does not simply provide power, it also provides all the bi-directional communication required for boot-up and continued power."

Have a nice day

Moti

Edited by moti