SHOCHU00

TT3,KPC3+, VISUALGPS PROBLEM...HELP!

HELLO ALL,

I'M HAVING A PROBLEM GETTING MY KPC3, TINY TRACK, VISUALGPS, TELEMETRY SYSTEM TO WORK. THIS IS MY SETUP.

TX:

ETREX GPS ------TINY TRACK 3------- AUDIO IN (A/V TRANSMITTER)

TT3 TO RCA AUDIO PLUG PINOUT: DB9 MALE CONNECTOR AUDIO TRANSMIT (PIN 1) GROUND (PIN 6).THESE TWO WIRES ARE CONECTED TO THEIR RESPECTIVE RCA PLUG TERMINALS GROUND AND TRANSMIT AUDIO

RX:

A/V RX-----TO--------MALE SERIAL PLUG

AUDIO RX OUT TO RCA PLUG THE TWO WIRES COMING OUT OF THE RCA PLUG

AUDIO TO KPC3 RADIO PORT (PIN 5) AND GROUND TO (PIN 6)

THE DP25 ON THE BACK OF THE KPC3 IS WIRED AS FOLLOWS TO THE DB9 SERIAL PLUG WHICH ATTACHES TO THE COMPUTER SERIAL PORT:

2-------TO-------3 TX

3-------TO-------2 RX

4-------TO-------7 RTS

5-------TO-------8 CTS

7-------TO-------5 SG

THE GPS, VISUALGPS, AND PACTERM PROGRAMS ARE ALL SET AS FOLLOWS:

COM 1, 4800 BAUD

THIS SETUP IS NOT WORKING FOR SOME REASON. THE PACTERM PROGRAM IS TELLING ME THAT IT IS UNABLE TO OPEN THE REQUESTED COM PORT THAT THE APPLICATION IS REQUESTING. IF I CHANGE THE COM PORT, IT STILL DOES NOT WORK. I'M FRUSTRATED AND COULD USE SOME HELP! :D:angry:

Not being able to open a com port is a computer problem, so far everything else sounds good.

The com port problem is a computer problem though. Note, you cannot run 2 programs at once that both want to use the same com port. Programs cannot share a com port.

Also, I recently installed a mapping program put out by national geographic. I don't remember the name because I threw it out after it took over both com ports on my computer. No other programs were able to access the ports. I uninstalled the NG program, still couldn't get them back. I used a system restore point (this is on Win XP) and still didn't get them back. Ended up formatting Hard drive and starting over.

The moral of that story is that you may have installed something that screwed around with you COM ports.

Matthew Klarich

Wow Matthew, that's pretty extreme.

Next time you can simply start killing processes through the task manager (ctl-alt-del) to see whats keeping them open.

Once you find the process doing the damage simply remove it or stop it from starting up.

did that, the program actually changed something in the registry or a driver file. I found people on the internet with similar problems with the program after the fact and most of the ended having to do the same thing. The computer was the one we use in the shop for programming PICs and didn't have much on it to reload.

As I said I did kill processes and the COMs still didn't come up. I went to a dos window and ran Telix (an old DOS based communication program) and still no COM ports. BUT if I booted off of a boot disk and ran Telix it worked. So something in windows had been changed that took over the COM ports.

I also went through selective startup in XP and chose the stuff I wanted to startup, I only checked things that I knew specifically and I still had no COMs.

I did just about everything I could to get them back but whatever that program changed was something I couldn't get rid of and something that XP system restore didn't keep track of because even it didn't get the COMs back for me.

Matt Klarich

AUAV

Edited by mklarich

I don't think I will ever install anything from National Geographics after hearing that.

Restoring any of my machines from scratch would take days.

I recently re-did my linux box and I still find things missing after 3-4 weeks that I need to install.

I wouldn't even want to imagine my main workstation. Although I do daily tape backups for everything, it's ok for the data, but generally all the apps need to be re-installed.

It is a task I put off until I really, really, want to upgrade the OS or something.

Oh.. I remeber Telix. It's funny because I was reading papers back from the 80's about Y-Modem. Also mentioned X-Modem and the "New" Z-Modem protocols.

Basically I was looking up stuff to use for over air transmission. But it's funny to read this stuff over 20 years later and actually recognize many of the names (ie Chuck Forsberg and Peter Boswell).

When you look back the only real advantage to X-YModem over so many other protocols that where out there (kermit, zoo etc) was that they put the specifications out in public so it became popular.

Which is a bit of what I'm trying to do with telemetry data. I would love if you guys would get involved.

Cheers,

Mike