Mr.RC-Cam

KX-131 Camera, damaged by excess voltage.

A KX-131 camera (not mine, thank goodness) was subjected to 12VDC rather than 5VDC. This of course killed it. By chance has anyone around here done this and successfully fixed the carnage? For example, is there a hidden SMD protection fuse in it like the old CX-161?

Hello,

Probably, the voltage regulator is blown.

This is a simple device. If you are good in soldering, you can solder it off and replace it with a new one. If you are luck, this is the only component that is broken. Saved me one time :)

Tips:

Get the datasheet for the blown component and study it

Look for defect components on the pcb and try to replace.

A KX-131 camera (not mine, thank goodness) was subjected to 12VDC rather than 5VDC. This of course killed it. By chance has anyone around here done this and successfully fixed the carnage? For example, is there a hidden SMD protection fuse in it like the old CX-161?

Hello,

Probably, the voltage regulator is blown.

This is a simple device. If you are good in soldering, you can solder it off and replace it with a new one. If you are luck, this is the only component that is broken. Saved me one time :)

Tips:

Get the datasheet for the blown component and study it

Look for defect components on the pcb and try to replace.

You mean you actually repaired a KX131 V-reg? Ok I admit it.. I am one of those who blew a KX131 by accidentally feeding it 12 volts on my multi-voltage supplier and camera mount. Do you have anymore info on how I can find the V-reg on the KX131 so I can experiment and repair this?

It's in the little lump on the hook up cable...

No, not the KX131, but another pcb cam. I thought I had blown that cam and I was in a rather bad mood for a day, when I decided to study the design of it in order to repair it. I`m a electro engineer, so I guess that help me abit :)

I studied the parts on the cam and found the voltage regulator. If a parts is caled ex: LM7405, just type it in google and see what you find. The voltage regulator in my pcb camera was SMD, e.g a very little voltage regulator. I soldered it of and replaced it with a standard size voltage regulator with some leads, since i didnt have the SMD regulator at hand.

The voltage regulator, often a tre pin device: Ground, voltage in and voltage out. It is often located nearby supply leads.

It is worth a try. What do you have to loose :) A first step can be to hook it up to supply voltage and measure voltages across the voltage regulator.

You mean you actually repaired a KX131 V-reg? Ok I admit it.. I am one of those who blew a KX131 by accidentally feeding it 12 volts on my multi-voltage supplier and camera mount. Do you have anymore info on how I can find the V-reg on the KX131 so I can experiment and repair this?
Edited by Hondaen

It's unexpected to hear that the Vreg was damage with 12VDC. Yes, they do that quite nicely if the power is reversed, but with the slightly higher voltage I would just expect that it would go into thermal shutdown until it cooled off.

Given that the KX131 is CCD, powered by 5VDC, I'd put money on a bad charge pump supply and possibly a few other components. But if there is protection in there to prevent carnage, I'd sure like to hear about it. :)