Sign in to follow this  
dalbert02

DC-DC 12v 2amp low noise vreg needed

I was looking for a low noise DC-DC switching vreg that has clean power out. I need the input voltage to be between 5v and 25v (6S lipo) to power 12v video transmitter and camera (about 2 amp draw). I remember a post a long time ago (by Kilrah?) about Traco Power. Sadly, I can't seem to find them anywhere in the US. Any of you guys have a suggestions?

Thanks,

-dave

Edited by dalbert02

Deleted...

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

http://www.intelligentflight.com/store/ind...d7ad2bccc4706ca

But you won't have 5V input. A switcher that can take input voltages both lower and higher than the output are much more rare and usually expensive.

I don't remember posting about what you say, but anyway if it was long ago I guess with technology evolutions it's a good idea to start the search from scratch ;)

Edited by Kilrah

Thanks. I need 12v tho. I'll have to search the old MSN site, but I am pretty sure it was you who mentioned Traco. Thanks for your help.

-dave

Dimension Engineering's soon to be release AnyVolt3 will accommodate your voltage/current range. Regardless of the DC-DC solution you choose to power your airborne A/V gear, do not use them without external LC filtering on both the input AND output. Even the "quiet" ones often cause R/C range loss if you don't do that. EMI/RFI is very mean spirited.

Dimension Engineering's soon to be release AnyVolt3 will accommodate your voltage/current range. Regardless of the DC-DC solution you choose to power your airborne A/V gear, do not use them without external LC filtering on both the input AND output. Even the "quiet" ones often cause R/C range loss if you don't do that. EMI/RFI is very mean spirited.

My first thought was to use the anyvolt since it says they can put in parallel in thier literature. But then after reading all the posts here on how bad they were since they were so noisy, I decided against it. I wish Castle's BEC would be upgraded to output 12v. In the project section of this website there is a project that mentions a low volt input to 12v out switching reg. Does anyone know if they can be put in parallel? If so I could probably get by in the interim using 2S lipos and that vreg.

Thanks.

-dave

My first thought was to use the anyvolt since it says they can put in parallel in thier literature. But then after reading all the posts here on how bad they were since they were so noisy, I decided against it.

I don't know much about it, but it is suppose to be 3 Amps. That should be plenty for A/V gear. Since it not available yet, there is no way to know how noisy it will be. Anything you heard would be for the original Anyvolt. And as I mentioned before, adjunct LC filters must be used. Just sticking caps on the wires is not enough.

My experience is that it is easy to create a quiet DC-DC switcher when the currents are very small. But, in a situation where the input voltage is low and the output voltage is high (ie, 5V in / 12 Vout), and with 3 amps drive, then it becomes a huge burden to tame the EMI/RFI. That is because the inputs current is large and the magnetic components are working hard. So, regardless of what you choose, plan on additional filtering.

Thanks, good info as always. What is the best way to power 12v transmitters and cameras? A fully charged 3s lipo would do well, but it could be real easy to over discharge them by accident. 12v of nimh at 2000mAh capacity is starting to get heavy and when fully charged could be a bit too high and blow up some cameras. I killed a KCP-650 that way, $200 in the trash. There is no free lunch I suppose, but any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-dave

If I had a system that ran directly on 3S LiPOs (without DC-DC trickery), then that is what I would use.

Whenever LiPO's are used the problem regarding over-discharge looms, but you can use an audio alarm or OSD to remind you that that battery voltage is low.

What is the best way to power 12v transmitters and cameras? A fully charged 3s lipo would do well

That's also what I always do. If you're careful enough about your stuff and don't forget to disconnect the battery after usage, and roughly time your battery usage you won't overdischarge it. You could always put some sort of protection circuitry that cuts the supply when the pack is empty, but then when thinking of it in case it happened in flight I'd rather see the signs of low voltage and possibly kill a battery instead of losing video abruptly because of the overdischarge protection.