headhunter23

Need a little help on keeping wings level

Ok I've tried a couple types of gyro's head tracking and the basic. Neither seem to work for the purpose of keeping the wings completely level. What do you guys suggest? I do have a futaba pilot assist but because I fly 6:30 in the morning apparently the light would not work out as the system works on light. Is there a good relatively cheap system that will keep the wings level(ailerons)?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan.

The pilot? j/k

I don't know of a perfect system. I'm not sure how head tracking would help here? Maybe you could explain what you have actually tried so far in a little more detail.

I think most people use the FMA copilot for stabilizing. There are products out there that will hold the wings completely level but I wouldn't call them relatively cheap. Relatively cheap compared to a full size plane? Yes. Relatively cheap compared to the FMA copilot? No.

Well apparently I didn't know what to get, so picked up a regular gyro. These seem to work for more windy areas but act more like a suspension, just reduces the gusts etc. Then just bought a headlock gyro, would have thought it would keep aileron which ever way till plane centres but no luck there. Was a cheap 191 headlock gyro. I'm starting to think I need an expensive headlock gyro that does no drifting, if that's possible (from what I've read yes).

I'll try looking up wing leveler, I hear the fma copilot isn't available to us canadians due to new security threat issues or atleast policies. Not sure what other systems are available.

Ivan.

http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupstock.php?pc=7049&Desc=

This is the gyro that I just recently tried. Seems there is a dual function, am starting to think that I don't have the headlock feature correct. The single orange cable goes to another channel on the remote correct? It goes to the signal wire right?

The instructions aren't the best.

:D Ok figured out the extra wire, apparently turns on the headlock feature via another channel. Sorry for post.

Actually I guess I still have a question, is it a bad idea to put a second headlock gyro and merge the single wire from both headlock gyro's to one channel, or do I need yet another channel for the second headlock gyro?

Ivan.

The channel turns headlock on/off and also adjusts the gain. So if you can do with the same gain on both gyrps you're good Y'ing them. Usually center = inactive, the farther you go to one side with the channel the more gain you have - without headlock, same the other way but with headlock.

Why do you want a second gyro? Pitch?

I use FMA Co-pilot and it seems to work pretty well. It's not dependent on light as it senses the IR radiation of earth vs. sky. The manufacturer claims it will work at night as well. However it may have some difficulties when flying over snow, water or in between mountains (it needs flat horizon).

I guess it's the best one can achieve.

However, you won't eliminate wing swaying completely with neither of these systems (IR, visible light, gyro, etc.) as all of them work to the same principle - i.e. first the plane has to move a little so a sensor can detect the movement and force plane controls to compensate for it. How much the movement will be noticeable will depend on the stiffness of plane controls, airframe, and servo speed, etc. I used to fly a 1,6 m foamy plane (quite flexible) with FMA Co-pilot with a camera onboard, and on turbulent days movies turned out to be unwatchable, even with the FMA Co-pilot on. Of course it did help a lot with controlling the plane, so I ended up using it for flying high where I kept easily loosing orientation just to keep the plane level rather than to completely stabilize it.

Ah good info, kilrah, ron had mentioned earlier when I asked about this stuff that I could put one on the elevator to help keep the plane more even. Will work on aileron one first then try to tune in the tail. But other than adjusting both gyro's with one channel that's the only problem correct?

Hey is it the copilot that is only available to us citizens now?

Ivan.

Ok screwing around a little more with head lock gyro, curious as to setup, currently I have dx7 with each wing on a separate channel with gyro only functioning one wing. Question whether to have both ailerons switched to a single channel? Or best to leave it as is.

If I put both servo's on the one channel I lose by air brake setup, only downfall I can see. But both ailerons will be functioning together.

Ivan.

And use a rate gyro. Not a head lock gyro.

Ok seems I've had a couple rate gyro's. All I really want is to let go of the ailerons and just have the wings level is all and stay that way till I input.

Ivan.

edit point:

rrrrrrrrahhhhhghahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by headhunter23

Then you need a wing leveling system not a rate gyro. You can do that with the FMA copilot or with a full IMU. The FMA route is much much cheaper and much much simpler.

Maybe you can make your own cheap system using tilt switches or something.

You would need a uC with the tilt switches, but it would be cheaper than the FMA. Most rollerball type tilt switches cost less than $1.

I'm not acquainted with tilt switches.. Can you provide a link to them ??

If you need to ask these questions then I reccomend you buy a co-pilot, diy systems are full of problems.

Terry

Tilt switches? Without something proportional I wouldn't expect anything to work.

Tilt switches are things that in the past were made with a bubble half filled with liquid metal (mercury) and had 2 electrodes. Depending on the position, the metal will touch the electrodes and make a contact, or not. Now the mercury isn't used anymore, but the functionality is the same.

Ahhhh. OK. Now I remember what they are. Used to turn the light on under the hood so ya could watch your motor run. I was thinking about the tilt switch in pinball games..... Yeah.. Don't think they would work in his application.

%$@%$@#$%%##@^&%^$&&%^#&%^&#%^^%$@# have received the fma co-pilot last thurs, is installed and tried a few times. It does not like being diagnal like it says in the instructions. On the ground it does everything that's stated in the book, once all setup and recaliabrated looks fine. In air it just dives to the left. $##$^%@$%@^$#^... suggestions... have gone into the setup and played with the switches, doesn't seem to help. Windows are all clean.l;jklkjjlklkj;lkjaslkjfd;lkjaj

At this point am thinking it would be better off on a zagi style wing that I have(not built) and the sensor facing forward as originally designed for.

Ivan.

Diagonal ?? Seems to me it should be level like a gyro. Misprint in the instructions?

Well in the instructions you normally have pitch from front to back but it's possible to rotate the unit to a diagnal (pitch looks out front left and back right, roll - out right and back left) and switch a switch in settings. This setup would be for having a pylon or mid wings etc, in which the IR unit isn't affected byt the fuse.

Don't ask me why but today just isn't going well. Don't have too much wire left laying around, so decided to try some old network cable which was really light, had made up a plug from Video TX to camera, have checked with multimeter, a-ok. Thought it was getting stuck for amps as it is small wire but doesn't seem to be. <_< Will try again I guess.

Ivan.