garris2

What frequency band should I use for my A/V Transmitter?

I want to get into FPV flying and I have been looking around the web a lot at the different Video transmitters and systems available and I need help to decide which frequency band video transmitter I should use. A recommendation on tx power would be good too. Can you also add pros and cons for your recommendation.

I am in Australia, if that makes any difference, and I have a 2.4G DSX9 JR radio.

I can see on the web the various freq bands for the video transmitters are 900MHz, 1.3GHz, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz.

Also could you discuss range characteristics and any other info you think would be of interest.

Thanks Geoff

If you already have a 2.4 radio, then look at 900mhz. I have 1.3 gear but if I had it to do over again I would go with 900 due to availability of everything else to go along with it, antennas, receivers, etc.

I do not know the frequency laws in Australia, however.

I personally would not look at 5.8ghz unless I was considering short range fpv like less than half a kilometer.

Thanks for your reply eickst.

I notice the 5.8G stuff is quite expensive too.

What 900MHz stuff would you recommend? Do you have any links where to buy it.

Has your FPV been successful.

cheers

Geoff

I got my stuff from rangevideo.com there are other competitors selling some of the same stuff, top quality. Look up goof proof patch once ya buy the stuff, works fine I have atleast 4 tx's, a diversity with 2 receivers. Love it.

^_^

Ivan.

I want to get into FPV flying and I have been looking around the web a lot at the different Video transmitters and systems available and I need help to decide which frequency band video transmitter I should use. A recommendation on tx power would be good too. Can you also add pros and cons for your recommendation.

I am in Australia, if that makes any difference, and I have a 2.4G DSX9 JR radio.

I can see on the web the various freq bands for the video transmitters are 900MHz, 1.3GHz, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz.

Also could you discuss range characteristics and any other info you think would be of interest.

Thanks Geoff

I'm in Australia too. I think we use 900mhz for mobile phones so i would say there is going to be allot of interference. Not sure about 1.3GHz but 2.4Ghz has wireless internet all over the place while 5.8Ghz is expensive. Isn't the 3G network on 1.2GHz??? would the separation of 1.2GHz to 1.32GHz be sufficient?

Also not that i'm really going to abide by our nanny nation's laws but what is the max power output we are allowed to posses? Anyone in Australia had a 900MHz around the city areas? do they have problems with the mobile towers?

Edited by savman