Attention: RC-CAM.com will be closing down August 2021.

The RC-Cam.com forum was the very first online community dedicated to the advancement of wireless video cameras on radio controlled (R/C) models. This is now called "FPV" (First Person View). We are proud of the contributions that our members have made to the FPV hobby.

We've seen significant changes over the last twenty years. Initially there were a lot of eager R/C hobbyist that built their own video systems. Allowing these creative individuals to share their work was the purpose of this site. Now the FPV market is flooded with low cost systems; Sadly DiY FPV video projects are now rarely discussed.

RC-CAM.com (main site and forum) will be closing down August 2021. This is being announced now (March 2021) so that everyone has time to download any information that is important to them. After the site is shutdown the information will no longer be available here.

We appreciate every member's involvement with advancing the FPV hobby. It is indeed sad to say goodbye to all our online friends. Be safe and stay healthy.

MyVu Personal Media Viewer Glasses

I'm learning thanks to you guys, so will keep my eyes open as I surf for a better set. Thanks. Off the subject a bit, what do y'all think about the GPS in the vendor section ?? Hard or fairly simple to use ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dooh, I goofed up. Because I didn't have the special iPOD connector when I designed the custom PCB, I had to guess at where pin-1 was. The coin toss lost, since the layout is backwards. When time permits, I'll try again.

Here's what it looks like. Too bad it won't work.

post-2-1220413106_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dooh, I goofed up. Because I didn't have the special iPOD connector when I designed the custom PCB, I had to guess at where pin-1 was. The coin toss lost, since the layout is backwards. When time permits, I'll try again.

Here's what it looks like. Too bad it won't work.

Mr.RC-Cam,

Been following this thread for a while hoping you would come out with the PCB for sale. Any luck on getting it to work?

Also, how did you go about soldering the tiny iPod connector pins to the PCB...I've already messed up 2 ipod connectors trying to do this.

Thanks,

Chris

As mentioned, the connector is backwards on the PCB. The pin spacing is too small to allow a cut and jump workaround. I'll try to order new boards in a few weeks (my wallet is still hurting from the buggered order).

Soldering the connector just takes a steady hand and good soldering equipment.

These folks do good work: www.4pcb.com. Budget about $130 to have four made (the smallest order they will build on their "$33 special"). For the Gerber artwork you will need to roll up your sleeves and do that on your own.

http://www.olimex.com/pcb/index.html

These guys will make a double-sided 100x160mm board for 38.50€ (about $55) shipping included, I don't know the dimensions of Mr.RC-Cam's board but a wild guess would make me think you could put about 10 - 15 of them in there, and they'll panelize and separate them for you for free.

What I'm not sure about is if that ipod connector would satisfy their 8mil min spacing/trace width.

I unfortunately don't have any first hand experience with them, I designed my last board to their specs, and when arriving on their site to submit I was greeted by a "we're on holiday for 1 month" message. So as it was pretty urgent I had to go with my usual PCB fab that billed me $190 for 3 of those.

post-30-1221508760_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I received another small batch of PCB's (with the corrected 30 pin footprint). I'll discuss it in a follow-up post.

While I had the myvu control dongle apart to re-install the factory iPod cable, I took a photo. For those that can handle the insanely small pad soldering, here is my original hack (custom cable and 100 ohm resistor):

post-2-1224643119_thumb.jpg

Starting with the upper right corner:

Brown: Power Gnd (there are two joined pads here)

Red: 3.3VDC

Orange: Video In

White: Left Audio In

Black: A/V Gnd

Red: Right Audio In

Don't forget the 100 ohm resistor, as shown.

Good news: The revised PCB works great. On this go-around I created a companion PCB that has a DC power jack and a triple-RCA connector for the A/V cords. It connects to the main PCB via a 6-conductor cable.

Here it is:

post-2-1224647312_thumb.jpg

Essentially it's a plug and play sort of solution. No mods are needed to the myvu glasses at all. Just plug them in and connect the A/V cables to your video source. There's a 3.3VDC voltage regulator on the main PCB for powering the glasses and it will accept a 5VDC to 12VDC supply. The glasses only draw about 100mA, so a small battery pack could run them for hours.

From the limited feedback it's obvious that there's not enough interest in this project to make it practical for me to offer a parts kit or assembled board. But, I have some extra PCB's for experienced DiY builders (the parts are SMD, so good soldering skills are essential).

The two board set is $15 plus shipping. The 30 pin iPOD connector is sold by sparkfun (I have a couple I don't need for $5.25 each while they last). The other parts are available from mouser.com.

If interested in purchasing a PCB then please PM me via the forum; Don't send emails.

Schematic and BOM: Click Me!

Here's a photo of the $15 PCB set:

post-2-1224647967_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam
Added docs to build board.
... posted a link on rcgroups to this thread.

Sure, tell a friend. It would be grand to put the PCB's to use. :)

I edited my previous post and added a link to the schematic and bill of materials. That's all I provide to build the board (but this is a simple circuit, so no need to hold any hands). Soldering the fine pitch iPOD connector takes good soldering skills. A simple method is described here: Sparkfun tutorial on soldering fine pitch parts

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've received some requests for assembled boards. Sorry, but I don't have any free time to build them and having some commercially made would not be cost effective. All I can say is that this is definitely a DiY project; so warm up the soldering iron and get to work! :)

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at these glasses and wondering if it were possible to connect one of the simple night vision cameras you see on ebay ?

I have been trying to build night vision gear on the cheap for my paintball goggles/mask for night time play.

Any ideas ???

• 1 month later...

I started that today but I just got really scared. I didn't want to spend money just to break it all of a sudden. I understand there's a risk to playing with things in this way but I was just hoping for some direction. So seams and screws it is? On the Solo Plus would you happen to know where are the screws and seams to go for? I just want to reposition the right mirror.

On the Solo Plus would you happen to know where are the screws and seams to go for?

I can't help you since mine is the Solo model. It was strictly a snap-together case with no screws. Getting it apart the first time was a bit unnerving.