Flutter

Power supply to telemetry set up

Hi

I am planning to use two regulators in my set up. One that delivers 5volt and one 12volt to supply all the different components (video tx,TinyTrack,GPS overlay and camera). I was thinking of having one main source that is above 12 volts for these two regulators. Also it would be nice to add a generator, like an inverted motor, but I haven't found any candidates for this job jet.

What do you use?

Flutter

I have the info your changing the voltage output of the secondary supply on the Genesys. Getting more power involves just paralleling more coils(with a diode).

I don't think I will do it, but would like to store the info somewhere.

Can you post a link to it?

Thanks for the info. Seems like a neat set up. I also do think that going electric is the best. Having solarpanels for charging would be nice, and expensive. I read somewhere about a guy using an old printer motor as a generator. I hoped to find something simelar to that.

I have one question about generators on rc planes though. I want one to extend flying time, but I don't think my fuel will be enough for more than say max. 30min, so why the generator?

What flying times do you get? I am really thinking seriously if it would be better to build a large electric glider. My Cub has probably a drag coefficient like a brick! :)

I would say it all depends on what you are trying to achieve excatly.

But I agree with you a cub is not the ideal plane for long flights.

The one that someone right now from the R/C Pilot Project team is designing is basically an electric pusher prop glider.

We want the wing loading to be extremely minimal so that we can shut off the motor to take still shots etc and just glide around for a bit.

Achieving a long flights is not magic at all. Lots of battery, minimum weight, minimum loading.

Absolutely. I agree. My Cub is only my testbed though. I am doing a design study at my university at the moment, and I calculate a canard pusher, with extreme low wingloading. The design will look something like the Scaled Proteus. This is a full scale design though, with a weight of 2000pounds. I am thinking of making/calculating a scale version of it which I may build one day (when I get my own composite workshop.......).

Well,back to my question about power supply. I still don't know what battery I should use to supply the 5-and 12volt regulators. I can get AA cells with 2200mAh capasity, but making a +12volt supply of AA will make the pack far to heavy.

Flutter

That's what I've been flying with. 8xAA. Alkaline.

This year though I plan to use Li-Ion Polymere.

Another option is to use a step-up DC-DC controller. I think one from Maxim is also available, maybe the MAX773 would be a good fit. Provides up to 1A of current, and can provide 5, 12 or 15V output. It requires an external N-channel MOSFET to provide the current. I haven't ever used them before, so I'm not sure of the characteristics.

Do they require more current than would normally be required to generate a voltage that is higher than the input? I don't know, but I assume so. So, I guess it really depends on how long of a flight time you want to get out of your packs. If you need every bit of your 2200mAH battery now, then this probably isn't the route, as you would possibly have to replace 8xAA's with 4xSub-C's to get the same flight time, but at the same time, keeping the weight about the same... However, if you can stand to lose half of your flight time, there you go.

Here is a search I did on Maxim's web site for a 12V output step-up controller. I think there is a replacement for that device for new designs, but you'll see that when you click on that device.

http://para.maxim-ic.com/compare.asp?Fam=D...4,115886,115953

Hope that this helps.

Jason.

I don't have a link to the Genesys info, just stuff I gathered through email to them and some reverse enginnering :)

The unit is basicaly a linear regulator circuit with the coil acting as the secondary of a transformer going right into a bridge. There are 2 LM338T circuits. One has an LM324 circuit to control charging and a switch for 4.8/6.0V. The other LM338 goes to accessory out. You change the set resistors for different voltages(5V is standard). Its output filter cap is only a 10V unit so needs to be changed if you go to higher voltages. Not sure what the maximum is.

More power can be had by paralleing more coils. They require a series diode.

If one wanted to buy coils/magnets from them you could make a custom regulator that is smaller and lighter.