Terry

Range Video

It was only a matter of time and more citations to others will in all probability be forthcoming.

The FCC also noted that Reznik stated that before he ships a transmitter device, he "switch[es] it to operate only in the Amateur Radio Service ('ARS') bands.

Don't know whether he's a ham or not & if he is he could lose his license over this, but as the citation stated, resetting a dip switch does not cut it, and if he's not a ham, he is not authorized to "switch" or in anyway modify any equipment for sale to the public to operate in the ham bands.

Disclaimers on a website doesn't cut it with the FCC. It is still a punishable offense for selling equipment to non hams that can and knowingly will, be used on the ham bands by unlicensed operators.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Wow. This could derail the USA based FPV shops. The FCC investigations begin by receiving a public complaint, so I wonder who reported him?

The FCC investigations begin by receiving a public complain

Used to be that way. Volunteer OO (Official Observers) used to monitor ham band activity but in the past few years from what I understand, the FCC has their own crews now in addition to the OOs. I suppose this happened in part because of possible terrorist activities since 9/11. Most all stores that sell ham band equipment require proof of licensing before they will sell any kind of transmitting equipment to you nowadays. Fortunatly with the FCC and QRZ online records, this is pretty easy to determine.

Probably won't get any better in the coming years....

I understand, the FCC has their own crews now in addition to the OOs.

Perhaps, but with the budget cuts over the last couple decades, the FCC's staff has been decimated. From what I have heard, there are essentially no government paid employees that do proactive policing of this kind. If their budgets have been recently restored then maybe things could change, but I have a hunch they are still hurting for staff and funds.

So unless things have changed in recent days, FCC related retailer investigations begin with a complaint from someone other than a bureaucrat at the FCC. In this particular case, I'll bet it was a pissed-off customer, foreign based competitor, or someone that understood the rules and did not like seeing the non-compliant equipment being sold to the public (such as a licensed ham or ARRL OO). If it was a FCC employee behind it all then I'd be amazed.

I don't think this will end Range Video as a supplier of wireless Tx's, but will certainly affect how they do business. Other USA based FPV wireless video equip suppliers should pay close attention to how this all pans out. Otherwise, the men in black may come calling.

Edit:

Most all stores that sell ham band equipment require proof of licensing before they will sell any kind of transmitting equipment to you nowadays. Fortunatly with the FCC and QRZ online records, this is pretty easy to determine.

Yup, selling FCC Part 97 compliant equipment, and confirming the license status of the purchaser, is the surest way to keep the boys at the FCC off your back. But from what I have seen, 0.005% of the FPV flyers have any desire to earn their ham ticket. Too bad, since it would make them better prepared for the hobby.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Thanks for the info here guys, I have just ordered some 900MHz gear from range video, seems I might have lost my money in this :angry2:

I am a ham radio op, license has lapsed as I went into photography years ago, but could soon get back my G0 call again.

Ross

No reason to think you have lost your money Ross. I guess things there may run a but slow until he sorts himself out.

Terry

Fingers crossed Terry ;)

I'm not far from you in Barnstaple, what do you fly by the way?

Ross

I went through Barnstaple yesterday on my way to Woolacolme, I often park in the Green Lanes Shopping Centre when I visit Banstaple though.

I fly a Slowstick for test flights when testing video gear, a own design big stick for aerial photo's. Also building an Easy Glider and an own design quad copter.

PS. watch out for Chris Golds

Terry

hahahaha I used to fly with Chris many years ago at Chivenor, then when I gave up R/C I never saw him again. Like his paintings though, very nicely done. I fly on Satudays at the local college with Martyn from Chivenor R/C club, but its closed for summer so hoping on the WX improving. Was down woolacombe last weekend, well to be honest Morte point shooting with my trex600 & HD video, will post a link to youtube when I've sorted it all out.

Small world my friend.

Ross

I have sent range video 2 emails now asking if my order has been dispatched & no reply, this left me no alternative but to commence a paypal claim. My advice ladies & gents is to stay clear of range video until something is sorted.

Ross