hi

does anyone know how to convert a RCA connector into a servo connector? i will be getting an OSD soon but my camera uses RCA connector. i know eagle tree has them for sale but i think it a little expensive, and i thought it shouldn't be very hard?? to DIY?

hope someone can help!! :D

The Eagle Tree OSD's video cables use two of the three wires found on a "servo" style cable. The red servo wire is unused. You would basically wire the RCA jack's ground (outer conductor) to the black (or brown) servo wire. You would wire the white (or yellow) wire to the RCA's signal pin (inner conductor). This will require basic soldering.

Cable pinout information is in the OSD's manual. If you need more help, it might be best to ask Eagle Tree if they have a drawing you can follow. But honestly, it is a very basic thing to wire up. Ask a buddy that has some electronic experience to give you hand.

Speaking of RCA connectors, they are somewhat bulky. Many folks cut them off and eliminate them. :)

The Eagle Tree OSD's video cables use two of the three wires found on a "servo" style cable. The red servo wire is unused. You would basically wire the RCA jack's ground (outer conductor) to the black (or brown) servo wire. You would wire the white (or yellow) wire to the RCA's signal pin (inner conductor). This will require basic soldering.

Cable pinout information is in the OSD's manual. If you need more help, it might be best to ask Eagle Tree if they have a drawing you can follow. But honestly, it is a very basic thing to wire up. Ask a buddy that has some electronic experience to give you hand.

Speaking of RCA connectors, they are somewhat bulky. Many folks cut them off and eliminate them. :)

thank you very much!!!! that was really helpful! it does sound very simple. no need to pay $20 anymore!! :D :D

RCA they are bulky so i will change them to servo type.

BTW does BNC work in the same way as RCA?? one of the wires are actually BNC wire with a BNC to RCA adapter.

once again thanks! :)

A BNC connector is just another type of connector used in RF and video applications. Even heavier and bulkier than RCA connectors. If weight is an issue then I'd say skip using them to connect the camera.

Some people just remove all the heavy video connectors and use 3-wire servo cables to connect their camera gear. Servo cables are easy to find, are low weight, and work fine. Basic soldering is require.

If you don't want to void the camera's warranty then don't hack anything or you will be out of luck. Once you cut the factory stock cables, you are on your own.