Sign in to follow this  
Photon

internet based Camera using cell network

Does anyone have any thoughts about using a cellular broadband card and a internet camera like this. "The D-Link Internet camera includes a powerful built-in fully integrated web-server that contains its own IP address to act as an independent device". Couple this with a broadband cellular network card.

I understand latency might be a hindrance to piloting, but with the advances in auto piloting that are coming about, this may not be an issue. I'm thinking about applications like pipeline inspection and surveying, where the requirements are long range and mostly straight (boring) flight plans. Being able to use the very extensive cellular networks would be quite attractive.

I own a D-link DCS-5300G Internet camera, which I think is a newer version than the one you linked to. It has a nice pan and tilt system that can be controlled from the web. Honestly, I think the latency issue will be a serous problem for piloting or driving, especially on an average broadband cellular connection. For casual security applications, it seems like it would be dandy.

I got it to watch our outdoor pond. I toyed with it for a couple of weeks and eventually decided to use an old school video link. So it's collecting dust in the box. If you are interested in making me a deal, then let's talk. :)

I own a D-link DCS-5300G Internet camera, which I think is a newer version than the one you linked to.

I looked a little further into this unit, and found one possible problem-

"Cons: Main CON: Only supports Active-X/IE, doesn't work on anything else e.g.: firefox. Couldn't get video working even on my MAC's IE."

from Newegg

I need to get myself up to speed on all the variables with this idea before I start spending, but I'll stay in touch.

Thanks,

Joshua