cleardomes.

I just ordered a dome from these guys, they are made for cameras and claim that there is no distortion except for just around the base. It will be here in a couple of weeks, I'll report back then.

Has anybody used anything like this?

I don't know if it's worth the trouble, but the more money I have on my airframes the more worried I am throwing them up in the air. I want my cameras to see forward and down primarily, so they tend to be very exposed. I ordered the 1/8" acrylic which probably won't remain optically clear after ground contact, but it should protect my camera and P/T mechanics. With shipping it comes out to ~$50. Not cheap, but the idea of all my gear just hanging out there with no protection makes me nervous.

cd043sm.jpg

Edited by Photon

How can there be no distortion? I would think the only way that is possible is shooting through flat piece of glass... :huh:

I agree, I'm skeptical, but willing to experiment. Plus you see dome cameras everywhere, so I assume they work. I'll report back to the forum when I get it in my grubby hands and can shoot some video through it.

Also make a note if these scratch easily. I recall wiping off some finger print stains from the dome with a paper napkin (wrong choice but only thing avail at the time) and it permanently left scratches on it where it blurred the video.

Also make a note if these scratch easily. I recall wiping off some finger print stains from the dome with a paper napkin (wrong choice but only thing avail at the time) and it permanently left scratches on it where it blurred the video.

That is definitely a concern. They make these in polycarbonate, which is tougher , but costs a bit more, and the hemisphere can not be made as tall. Acrylic has excellent optical characteristics and handles the environment fairly well. It will yellow over time, but I assume it will get scratched up long before it yellows.

In what application were you using one of these?

You could always try to buff out the scratches, that's the one nice thing about plastics, a mild polish can most of the time remove scratches. Of course this would add even more distortion, but I don't think it would be too much of a difference from original unless you focus on one area.

In what application were you using one of these?

Actually I was using it for what it was meant for... video surveillance. But to me the only way to do this with out any scratch issues is to use glass domes but that could be a weight issue. The plastic dome idea is a good idea for FPV but you are dealing with a moving plane in a unpredictable environment and things do happen. Again this still has a good chance to work if you place this in a better location where the chances of rocks or grass will not touch it upon landing. As for the yellowing part.. I don't know how many hours/days of UV penetration till it starts to discolor, but is this a big issue for the amount of air time it will get?

Toothpaste is also a good polisher for scratched plastic. You always have it around & the wife never lets it run out.... & it doesn't take any $$ away from your modeling budget...

Expensive. Why not use a modified camera filter (UV) filter/ hood

IF it gets scratched you can try those cell phone screen repair kits. They are being sold in cellular accessory stores. Tried it on my Nokia N95 and it works pretty well!

Dimitris

Expensive. Why not use a modified camera filter (UV) filter/ hood

I wanted something that I can pan and tilt behind, so that I would have some protection for the camera as well as the P/T mechanics. Also water proofing possibilities, if cooling issues can be solved.