Sign in to follow this  
mocam

is it possible?

Hi, ok I am sorry......an other newbie here.....but I have been flying rc planes for a few years now, and i want to take it to the next level. I am wanting to put a camera inside one of my planes and fly it was if I was inside the rc plane. Now, from what I am reading is that the gyro has to be hooked up into the trainers jack of the transmitter. My question is this, can I use an other two channel radio and hack the control sticks (removing/disconnecting them) and hook up a gyro to same location as the control sticks in transmiter. Is it that easy? My guess is not, but can that be done? Basically useing the 2 channel transmiter for controling the camera only, panning it up/down/left/right while keeping my original trans for flight only. If not, is there a circuit I need to build/buy? What needs to be done?? I know enough electronics to be dangerous....lol that usually ends up costing some $$, so I thought I would ask the pros first :) . Also would a standard gyro work, like the ones used in a rc helicoter or should I look for a certain kind? Last but not least, what micro colour video cam with sound is best? and what reciever for the camera is best?? Any help would be appreicated

i don't think they would work, cause if you move your head it will move, but it won't 'follow' your head movements, i think a better way of doing it may be infra red sensors cause this has a view of where your head is pointing whereas the gyros just know you have moved your head, you get me? i would love to do this too if you are successful

if you mount the ir sensors on the transmitter you won't have to have the on a massive framework out infront of you

There are a few systems that do what you want. In fact that's what these forums are about. Read through a few of the FPV posts and you'll find all the info you need to assemble a system. You'll also find links to lead you to system and parts suppliers. Start out by reading a few posts on this forum and if that's not enough, do a forum search on FPV.

Enjoy!!

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Thanks guys, I have been reading but maybe I just can't see it......go figure doesn't it always happen that way....when you are looking for something you can never find it lol. Has anyone hacked a gyro mouse for this? Basically, and maybe I have bitten off more then I can chew, but my idea is to hook a gyro/accelerometer directly to the potentiometers in a 2-channel futaba transmitter. I believe the potentiometers in the transmitter has a range of approx -5 to 5 volts, so I guess I would need a gyro that has a voltage output. Or I need to make/find a curcuit that converts the output of a gyro/accelerometer to the proper voltage. I know there are alot of very smart ppl here and I hope we can figure this out....somehow there has to be a way.

That's basically what's used in headtrackers, however you can't connect the sensors directly to your TX, some processing has to be done, which is usually achieved with a microcontroller for simplicity.

Edited by Kilrah

Now that is certainly food for thought Mr RC..

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Strangely familiar :) ...

I've found that adding cogs (to increase the sensitivity) isn't always as easy as it looks. Also, to 'lock' the joystick assembly attitude you need that rather restricting collar. My old version (put the pots on the back of the head/hat/strap, one body glued to the shaft of the other at right-angles, and use a sliding sleeve on the top pot shaft) means you just have to clip the control rod to the top of your collar. Worked fine in pan, not so much throw in tilt. You can play around with different pot values, depending on the circuitry in your Tx you can change the sensitivity a bit.

The advantage over dedicated FPV gyros/magnetometers, is that such systems get you going, and lack drift. The downside is that you finish your flight, you pull off your glasses... and break something!...