Sign in to follow this  
saabguyspg

which receiver is best? help please

Hi all, I have the 500mw 900mhz system from future hobbies and it seems decent but from the videos and comments I hear I don't get the range everyone else is getting.

I have a patch ant. attached but no diversity btw. On the ground test I can walk away about 100m and I lose video. I have read people are driving like 4 km away and still getting video??? this seems impossible to me.

My question is:

Is the system from future hobbies (I belive it is a lawmate receiver) better or worse than say the ones from airwave?

I want to go to diversity and if I stick with the future hobbies stuff I have to buy another expensive receiver and an oracle... which I am fine with but the airwave modules are waaaayy cheaper. So is there a big quality and range difference here?

Any comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

Steve

100m on half a watt is crazy, you must have a problem with your system.

I would surgest trying different aerials, you may have a duff one.

Terry

I suggest you post an example video and some photos of you setup. That way we can see the details.

If you are using the stock 900MHz Tx whip, then I hear they are horrible and should be replaced. So perhaps you should do that ASAP. However, with your description of such short range, there is more going on in your case. You will often hear me say my trademark statement that with microwave RF, everything matters. Some folks eventually get the just of that simple message after they have substantial amounts of self inflicted hair loss. So if your luck is like some, be prepared join the hair club for men.

A 500mW 900Mhz system will give you miles of airborne range in an open area that is far from interfering sources. Ground range testing will be less. But if you have horrible video at 100 meters in large open areas, then something is very wrong. However, if you are testing in your neighborhood, along with cars, buildings, electronic devices, and such, then it can certainly create a mess with the RF link.

The thing about wireless video is that it is often not just a case of installing the goods into a R/C model and then having problem free results. I consider those that succeed without any substantial effort as very lucky people. So, start with sharing a video and some clear photos of your installation, plus anything else you can provide.

BTW not in 900mhz, but on 2.4ghz, I´ve found a bit better reception with a standard lawmate receiver than with the Airwave 634rx.

cool guys, thanks for the support.

I actually have two FPV planes, one is a easy glider and one the easy star. I have a IFOSD on the glider and I can get to about 400m before my video is so bad I have to turn back... If I direct the patch it gets marginally better.

A friend of mine has ordered some ducky's for our 900mhz TX's so we can start there.

I will post some tests and video as soon as I can. I am in the process of installing a spektrum module in an old futaba 9Z so I can head track so I have lots of work ahead of me.

I will devise a range check system today I hope somewhere in the boonies.