Sign in to follow this  
headhunter23

Argh, need a little help on rewinding

Ok long story short, burnt out motor, motor was originally 8 turns per coil finished in delta. New configuration, 8 turns wye. Worked. Original configuration was 2 coils wound, one opposite to the other, then skip four, then 2 coils wound opposite eachother but same as first.

Anyways motor was turning too slow in configuration, went back redid it in 7 turns wye. I have redone this 5 times and no workie now. I have tested ohms, all good. Turns are all correct. Gave up on it then researched again.

Found this site.

http://www.strongrcmotors.com/Instructions...ong%20Motor.htm

So decided to try that configuration where all coils are exact same direction. 1 coil, skip two, 1 coil, skip two added all three phases and now she still doesn't spin up.

Am going to try adjusting timing... and will recheck ohms... but I'm pretty much 100% sure there are no shorts.

Ideas? tips etc.

Ivan.

ohms perfect... recheck winds, perfect.

Completely redoing connection to "soft wires"

Just solidering the brass on then do another test... dunno why there was such a difference between original windings.

no workie. :angry2:

Thing is perfect. The only thing I can think off is that the motor cannot turn 7 turns wye. Perhaps it needs 8 coils minimum in wye.

No prop. no load, just sits there. No spinning.

Will convert other to 8 turns wye, same configuration. If it works then it's the coils, just needed more.(which doesn't make any sense)

Ivan.

Any other ideas, shootem out.

Edited by headhunter23

Don't think you'll have too many minds here to pick on this subject Ivan. Forum users here are into electronics & design, not motor winding & theory. You might try posing your question here, http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/ and see whether someone can help.. Then come back & fill us in....

Don't think you'll have too many minds here to pick on this subject Ivan. Forum users here are into electronics & design, not motor winding & theory. You might try posing your question here, http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/ and see whether someone can help.. Then come back & fill us in....

Last motor I rewound was back in '58 and I can't remember that far back....

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

This make no sense, the most common faults are a winding error or short to the stator. Can you post pictures of your motor showing the windings ?

EDIT: are your shure your controller is still ok and the battery has not gone flat while you were testing ?

Terry

Edited by Terry

I know it makes no sense and ya I figured wrong forum but still some geniuses on here. Like I said motor is perfect, tested on yet another proven esc, no joy. Am rewinding the other one now see if it works in clockwise, counter, skip four and clockwise, counter, 7 turns like I want. If no luck then will rewind it to 8 turns where I've had success(which doesn't make any sense, should work anyways). Will have pic up in hour or so. zero shorts. dunno.... fasl;aslkjfds

Still to me that website having all turns same way, it's proven but doesn't make sense to me as magnets are aligned same pattern. NSNS and by winding whatever say clockwise continuiously every fourth means it would be alternating N and then South, which doesn't make sense as they should be consistent, NN or SS unless you flipped one set opposite direction.

If no workie am throwing in fire. :angry:

Edited by headhunter23

I have only ever wound in Delta but it should not cause a problem.

NSNSNS is the way it has to be. In effect the are windings creating a moving magnetic field rotating and taking the magnets with them. As the first phase goes N the N magnet aligns with it. Then the next phase gose N and the N magnet moves to it. Then the 3rd and last phase goes N and the N magnet moves round to it. When the first phase goes N again the N magnet will continue in the same direction as phase one follows phase three in the windings.

The only other thing you could check is that the magnets are all correct, I know there is no reason they should not be but !

Terry

Yep, had copied that guy for one motor, not sure if I posted it but the one link is his site.

New windings on other motor kinda worked, almost up to speed, then would smoke and stop. Rechecked continuity, was good. Tried again messed with timing, kept doing same thing till smoking it too many times and it shorted.

kaf atleast it spun up. Took apart slowly, counter, clock, counter clock... etc. Windings were correct as original. This is weird.

Edited by headhunter23

Ok, going to try again. Follow this guys idea, clock counter counter clock. Will see... would explain the smoking if some of the coils were wound improperly although whats strange is I'm doing original factory wind. Need to think about it before I rewind.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread....6580&page=4

seems to kinda work, is difficult to start up(doesn't sound right), even with changing timing. And sometimes it gets stuck in a certain rpm(doesn't sound right). But once full throttle it sounds right.

Rewinding to 8turns.

I give up. Rewound it exactly the way I did originally, which worked. No joy.kjkjfdslkja guess wait till new motors come in. Zero continuity between stator and other phases, rewound factory style.

Edited by headhunter23

Well, glad to see I was wrong Ivan. Looks like these fellows have all the bases covered.

You are using a watt meter for checking your motors aren't you? Sounds like the running load is way too heavy & motor is drawing excessive current....

Yea, a couple times it worked but amp draw was insane for it to be pulling unloaded.

It really should work, I think I`ve rewound 8 times today. Have even marked on the stator which is clock wise etc... ohms ok as always... so no shorts. I`m about done. Guru guy off other forum might have some ideas. The only thing I can`t really test is the throw motor on drill, mines a bit to slow, barely shows on voltmeter.

I`m thinkin esc is screwed but it works... so no luck there.

Is it just one phase that burns out ? Always the same wire on the speedo ?

Do you have a scope to check what is going on ? Maybe wire small bulbs in parallel and watch the brightness.

For testing purposes you could wind in with much thinner wire to give 30 turns or more to keep the current down or put a 10R power resistor in series with each wire from the speedo.

Terry

Will give it a try tomorrow... need a day off from it. No scope, one stator the edges are still rough even with motor epoxy specially designed to put a nice coating on, am doin threee coatings on the one stator. Tomorrow going to borrow drill press and go one phase at a time... just hope I get first correct ;) , it`s gotta be the windings... personally I see it NSNSNSNS etc and going clock, counter, clock etc makes sense yet again there are 14 poles for 12 teeth. Which would mean there is some overlap to the next pole at some point. LRG windings look a little complicated to do, will attempt one, it seems to be similar as to what I was doing originally... anyways will let ya know tomorrow afternoon how it turns out.

Edited by headhunter23