Sign in to follow this  
frotje

Landtastic question

Hi Mr-Cam,

I've build the landtastic unit and so far the programming/calibration works just fine.

Only problem i have is at power-up: when i power-up the receiver (futaba 2.4Ghz R606FS) the servo

will move shortly outside the desired range position at full speed. (Tx powered-up before Rx)

Is this a normal behaviour ?

Regards,

Hans

If you mean the servo arm jumps the moment power is applied, then that is a characteristic of some servos. Some do this more than others. It shouldn't be much different than when the Landtastic is not installed, but due to pulse variations during receiver initialization it might be better or worse.

If the servo is mechanically unloaded then the problem may appear worse than it really is. So, install it in the model (if you haven't already done that) and then see if it is a problem for you.

If you mean the servo arm jumps the moment power is applied, then that is a characteristic of some servos. Some do this more than others. It shouldn't be much different than when the Landtastic is not installed, but due to pulse variations during receiver initialization it might be better or worse.

>> The servo moves about 40 degrees counter clockwise and then back to the value set by the Tx.

>> I see this on several servo's i tried.

>> And yes, i see this also without landtastic.

If the servo is mechanically unloaded then the problem may appear worse than it really is. So, install it in the model (if you haven't already done that) and then see if it is a problem for you.

>> I already broke 2 gear boxes by trying this :-(

>> I will measure the servo signal coming from the receiver. But on the other hand, if the landtastic is installed, it should at

>> least slow down this procedure isn't it ?

>> Regards,

Hans

During power up, some servos will jump. This is a characteristic of some servos and nothing will stop it. But if you are breaking gears then something odd is going on. I would try a different brand of servo.

Exact, a friend of mine just finished a new plane, and the servos he used will do a strong jump at every power-up, even before his receiver has "booted up" and sends its first pulse. As those are 7kg*cm servos it can be nasty for what's behind...

Change servo if it's problematic.

Exact, a friend of mine just finished a new plane, and the servos he used will do a strong jump at every power-up, even before his receiver has "booted up" and sends its first pulse. As those are 7kg*cm servos it can be nasty for what's behind...

Change servo if it's problematic.

Could someone post some servo types that would work fine ?

Regards,

Hans

Have you confirmed that the servo jumps when the Landtastic is not used?

I've seen variations in the amount of power-on jump vary among the same servo model. The best thing to do is try a name brand quality made servo.

So, what servo model are you using now? Is it a industry name like Futaba, JR, or Hitec, or is it a low cost Chinese brand? For sure, I've seen the problem in the low cost servos more than the higher quality models. And smaller servos seem to do it more than the bigger ones. But, the problem varies and many servos don't jump at all.

Have you confirmed that the servo jumps when the Landtastic is not used?

>> Yes, so it's definitely a servo issue.

I've seen variations in the amount of power-on jump vary among the same servo model. The best thing to do is try a name brand quality made servo.

So, what servo model are you using now? Is it a industry name like Futaba, JR, or Hitec, or is it a low cost Chinese brand? For sure, I've seen the problem in the low cost servos more than the higher quality models. And smaller servos seem to do it more than the bigger ones. But, the problem varies and many servos don't jump at all.

>> So far i used: Tiny-S (multiplex) and GWS Park Hpx (chinese)

I don't have experience with the Multiplex servo, but I have seen a few GWS servos jump when power is first applied.

I have made a landtastic and have it installed in my eflite seafury it always moves the servos in so the wheels go up slightly when i plug it in, not enough to break anything, you have to make sure at wheel half up half down the servo is at middle travel so that when it is fully down it is towards its extreme this should stop it going out of the travel of the retracts

here it is with the landtastic!