aeajr

RC Antenna - Carbon

Hopefully I have posted this is the right forum.

I read the excellent article on antenna length and signal strength. Very helpful and very informative.

http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm

With the increased use of carbon in model airplanes, and particularly in RC Gliders, I was wondering if any experimentation had been done around the proximity of the antenna wire to the carbon fuselage or a carbon boom.

I have gliders that have 8-10 foot wing spans that I can fly out to 3/4 of a mile. Many have carbon booms between the antenna and the tail and i have the antenna wire taped on the boom. What am I doing to signal strength and range?

Thanks for any in put or opinions.

Ed Anderson

Many have carbon booms between the antenna and the tail and i have the antenna wire taped on the boom. What am I doing to signal strength and range?

It's not hard for you to find out. Just perform a careful ground range test (follow the R/C Mfg's recommendations) with the antenna on the boom. Then move the antenna away from the boom (string it several inches away). The relationship of the two measurements will provide a rough estimate of the percentage of range loss.

What we usually do with those carbon gliders is to have the antenna exit the fuselage as close as possible to the receiver, and leave it trail from there, without attaching it further. Seems to work well so far, one of mine would give me occasional serious R/C drops at not even 200m distance with all other configurations I tried before.