Jamez_Warner

cheapest way to achieve serial data link

what am I looking at? £

I have got a few cheapy data modules,

http://www.rentron.com/rf_remote_control.htm

but having a few interfacing problems, I can talk to PIC controller via MAX232 on cable link fine - tuned the radio modules ( so im sending/receiving at TTL ) PIC don't receive anything - gonna have to get a scope on it...

probably not much range - but its a start I suppose !

I dont remember what I paid and it was for custom frequecys too but it was a couple of hundred I think ???

I have used the modules like you have before but never done better that about 50 metres :(

Terry

UK

might I have more luck with handhled radios? about £40 for a good mile range, is there enough bandwidth to trasmit data at a reasonable rate? and how would i interface serial>audio audio>serial

James

Yes. I used some converted ones a few years back and they worked well. The main problem was the weight and size. Have a look on this forum for threads on packet modems to be used with the audio channel. That should get you started.

Terry

UK

Edited by Terry

You are aparently not from the US, so this might not apply to you, but I'll post it anyway. Here in the US, FRS radios can be had for under $20 per pair. Data communications on the FRS frequencies are illegal however the radios, with a little work, can be modified to work on the ham band. This has been discussed pretty extensively on the radioexperimenter yahoo group. I've personally done it on 4 different radios, and it's an interesting project.

Coupled with a simple modem, this is a very cheap solution.

Nathan

great :), any suggestions for modem's? - I don't mind building if its simple...

James

The MX614 is sort of a standard among the ham community. You can find it at www.glitchbuster.com. Only 1200 bps, though--fine for me, but I think you were looking for something faster.

Nathan