Sign in to follow this  
pitchu

CellPhone Camera?

Hi all

Finally the search has ended and i have registered myself here.

It is great to see you guys doiing so much.

Well, to be short and precise I am designing a Computer controled car containg a camera which transmits video in VHF band so that TV/TV Tuner cards can capture it. But the first problem I faced after getting a VHF TV transmitter circuit was a camera.

Well I am not able to get such a camera mentioned here but I do have some spare Cellphones having cameras.

LIke SnyEricsson W580i, NOKIA 6300,etc.

Please, tell me whether i can use these cameras in my circuit which has a mere two wire socket for video signals?

if yes then where from i can get the pinout details of such cameras?

hope somebody replies soon!

No, you can't. Cellphone cameras use digital interfaces, i.e they don't output the composite analog signal needed to feed our transmitters.

Other than this, don't expect too much from a VHF TX. From my own experience in the past with them, they don't work well in mobile applications. I also remember other people on here coming to the same conclusion.

No, you can't. Cellphone cameras use digital interfaces, i.e they don't output the composite analog signal needed to feed our transmitters.

Other than this, don't expect too much from a VHF TX. From my own experience in the past with them, they don't work well in mobile applications. I also remember other people on here coming to the same conclusion.

Hi

Thanks alot for your reply and information you gave to me.

I got it and am quitting to use any mobile camera BUT to make it clearer I was supposed to detach the camera from the cellphone and use it individually in the circuit and I think it still produces digital signals and hence cannot be used?

Thanks

The DAC would need to have to have some smarts in order to generate the composite video timing. Plus, the data from the cell phone camera would need to be organized in a way that is compatible with the composite video standards.

There may be a companion chip that can be used with the chip set in the camera to handle this, but that would not help make the project practical. You would be better off using a low cost CMOS composite camera. The worst of those are usually better than a typical cell phone camera. I suggest a quality CCD camera since they really make a difference in the image.