Sign in to follow this  
huey

Brushless motor noise

This is my first post, please be gentle, I bought a cheap 2.4Ghz camera from these guys :

http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcsc00004

I stripped off all the unecessary connections etc, I kept the 5v reg.

I have it in my easyglider with an upgraded 11.1v brushless setup. I originally had it tapped into the motor battery, and it picked up noise from the motor when the motor was on. Great picture when off. I wired up a separate 11.1v Lipo for the camera as recommended, noise still there with motor on.

I am now considering disconnecting the mike and maybe adding a capacitor, would I put across the Vin for transmitter or the camera? What value, type? Any other suggestions?

My aim is to get a good aerial video of a large castle where I live. There is a series of arches which is was built for FPV fun :)

Thanks

Regards

Huey

Start by removing the mic. On many cheap systems, when audio saturates this mangles the video channel as well.

Start by removing the mic. On many cheap systems, when audio saturates this mangles the video channel as well.

Will do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

(Try dropping a blob of glue on the mic first! This should massively reduce sensitivity, removing the saturation problem, but at least you'll have _some_ audio, which is more atmospheric than none...)

Glue dries hard though and may transmit noise. Another idea may be a small dollop of silicon sealer which stays flexible and won't transmit as much noise if any.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

I'm with Kilrah -- temporarily remove the mic. If that fixes the video noise (I suspect it will) then there would be good reason to try out glue or other trickery on the little electret mic. Personally, I'd vote for a resistor. :)

I'll try the glue fix first before I resort to the mike-ectomy :o

I won't be home 'till the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Huey.

I tried the glue on the mic today, reduced the noise somewhat, then i took out the wire snips and cut off the mic, big improvement. still a slight shake with power-on but alot better, good range too, i still had a good picture up to 500-600 metres. I'll need to get a device for recording so I can share my flights with you. Thanks for the advice guys.

Edited by huey