Sign in to follow this  
robert2222

servo r/c control

Hello,

wondered if anybody can point me in the right direction?

I have a servo controller and want to transmit that signal wireless (using a transmitter) no more that 50 meters to a receiver for control of a (digital) servo, I am thinking of 433Mhz but would like advice on the best and most reliable frequency.

does anybody know of any off the shelf solutions or circuit designers?

thanks

robert.

Hello,

wondered if anybody can point me in the right direction?

I have a servo controller and want to transmit that signal wireless (using a transmitter) no more that 50 meters to a receiver for control of a (digital) servo, I am thinking of 433Mhz but would like advice on the best and most reliable frequency.

does anybody know of any off the shelf solutions or circuit designers?

thanks

robert.

Try Sparkfun.com and go to wireless.

Alex

Freq choice and the selection of off-the-shelf modules will be limited if you intend to operate license-free within government rules. For example, in the US, FCC approved 433Mhz devices are meant for VERY intermittent duty (per FCC 15.231) and typically have short range due to their meager allowed RF power.

If legal operation is needed then you could use a pre-approved spread spectrum RF modem (available off-the-shelf from several vendors). These tend to be 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz, depending on the country of operation. To use them you would need to convert your servo signal to RS-232 data so the modem could send it.

If you are not concerned about observing the local RF regs then use whatever frequency and/or modulation method that is convenient to you. Lower frequencies like 433Mhz can offer more range per RF mW, but at the expense of needing a larger antenna. If a tiny antenna is wanted, then go with 2.4Ghz. Overall, the RF link choice that would be made would be a compromise of the things that are important to your application.