Sign in to follow this  
REVO

projekt: explore

hi guys,

i was interested in making a fpv flyer. anyways, i need a camera and receiver that will let me go 1 mile from where i'm standing. i'm not going to fly over 450 feet. can anyone recomend me a cam and receiver.

please give links, and excuse the fact that i'm a noob...

thanks a ton guys!

Edited by REVO

If you go "over" the hill, you'll in all probability lose control and would definatly lose your video link. This is all line of sight.

If you go "over" the hill, you'll in all probability lose control and would definatly lose your video link. This is all line of sight.

okay so dont go below the peak of the hill. is it okay to go below the tree tops? and i've done my research and i only need 1 mile of range, but i will rarely go past .75 miles

Edited by REVO

Any objects, trees & bushes included will result in signal loss or blanking. For best results your Tx antenna must be able to always "see" your Rx antenna. Most common video equipment is 2.4 gc which may or may not have the range you want. A lot depends upon the airborne equipment installation and noise suppression. You didn't say what your control frequency is.

Any objects, trees & bushes included will result in signal loss or blanking. For best results your Tx antenna must be able to always "see" your Rx antenna. Most common video equipment is 2.4 gc which may or may not have the range you want. A lot depends upon the airborne equipment installation and noise suppression. You didn't say what your control frequency is.

i'm looking for a system, which means i need recomendations... thanks for the tips guys! i have no idea what to get, all i know is that the more "mw" the more range i get... i think... also i wanted a fixed camera position to fly from. ( dont know if i mentioned that )

Edited by REVO

Need a bit more info REVO. Need to know what frequencies and power output is legal in your country. Most guys here are more versed in the equipment and operation than I am and possibly the legalities in your country so will be able to offer advice and suppliers of the equipment you'll need.

By fixed camera position, I assume that will be on your aircraft/heli without a pan & tilt mount.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

I assume that will be on your aircraft/heli without a pan & tilt mount.

correct!

and i live in the eastern usa in nj... does anyone have a system recomendations? am i going to need some kind of licence for what i want to do?

Edited by REVO

correct!

and i live in the eastern usa in nj... does anyone have a system recomendations? am i going to need some kind of licence for what i want to do?

i know you guys know..... :angry: c'mon :(

REVO, You still haven't given enough info. What control freq. are you using? If it's 2.4 for radio then 2.4 video is out. You'll have to use something different like 1.3 or 5.8 or 900Mhz. Depending on power output, you may need a HAM liscense. I'm not a HAM(YET) so I too don't know where the power output starts for a liscense. But, I'm pretty sure that a 10mw 2.4 ghz video TX is legal without a liscense. That won't give you a mile range though.

BTW- the guys on here don't respond to belligerence very well. It's the holiday, have patience man. I'm curious as well as to what the limits are with and without a HAM. I'm too buisy right now to devote to the liscense but as soon as things slow down, I'm all over it....but I want to stay legal without it too.

There are countless options around each with their advantages and drawbacks. If you don't give enough details so that people can narrow the choice down to what would suit you, it would take pages to explain all the different possbilities.

But as you can guess, you're not the first to ask, and there are already countless threads about beginner's equipment. Ideally, you'd browse a bit, read those and see what's available, learn and figure out some of the basic stuff yourself, then come back with a detailed description of what you want to do, a basic gear list and ask the questions that are still open and whether it looks ok to us.

Or you might want to check the FPV forum on RCGroups, they might have more beginner-oriented threads. Here the main focus is about the advanced technical aspects, people have nothing against beginners and will be happy to help them out but they need to get involved a bit and do the effort to do some prior research and come with at least an idea of what they'd want/need.

Edited by Kilrah

am i going to need some kind of licence for what i want to do?

The license free (FCC registered) A/V Tx's have less than 1mW of effective RF power, so they would not be appropriate in your long range application. If you desire to be compliant with USA law then you will need a amateur radio (ham) license and would need to follow the ham rules. The license is not difficult to obtain and you will learn useful technical information while studying for it (see arrl.org on where/how to take the test).

As mentioned, your questions have come up many times before. There's good information in the forum's old discussions, plus ongoing threads at rcgroups.com's FPV forum. A few minutes of searching should give you a good start.