Sign in to follow this  
robyr1

step up converter?

I would like to do this test:

with a 3,6V Li-ion 300mA i would like to power up a 12V 150mA camera. How it works these step up power supply? Where to buy in europe?

If i power it with a 300mA, the output current max is always 300mA?

In Europe, no idea. Step-up PSUs with these characteristics ald light weight aren't really in the electonics suppliers' inventory... There's one that might suit you here though: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/AnyVoltMicro.htm

Note that for video applications it might require additional filtering to avoid ripples on the image.

A Li-po pack can usually deliver at least 10 times its capacity in current, so a 300mAh pack will be able to supply 3A. Not for long though ;)

In the case of a 12V/150mA camera and 3.6V pack, you can expect the current draw on the battery to be around 500-600mA depending on the battery's charge status, so around 30min running time on 300mAh, if there's no additional draw like a transmitter of course.

Edited by Kilrah

I was thinking Anyvolt too. However, with a single cell Lipo on its input, the output current would be limited to 125mA (per details in the data sheet). That might still be enough in this application. Be sure to include more filtering to help reduce the switcher's electrical noise. Start with the last version (LC) discussed in this white paper: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/appnot...eo_tutorial.htm

Honestly, it might be more convenient to use a 3S LiPo instead. A tiny 90mAH 3S pack would probably weigh less than a 1S 300mAH with DC-DC stuff, and it would give similar run times.

Possibly an L/C filter on the output of the converter to get rid of its high-frequency noise. I've never used one of those myself, but I've seen some required that to get a clean image.

Indeed, I read the webpage description but not the PDF that has more detailed info and shows that especially once the battery becomes a bit low on charge the anyvolt will quickly reach its limit.

Have you measured the actual current draw on the camera? I've often seen them draw actually less than specified, we never know... The small 3S pack is of course much better if possible, I assumed it wasn't as you were "insisting" on the converter.

Can you give a more complete description of the setup and the voltages each component needs and at which current?

Edited by Kilrah

thanks guys!

I need to test it for my next experiment:

As you know, i will fit a camera on a falcon, but maybe i will use a small recorder (5cmx4cm!) wich record video at 640x480 30fps. This recorder is powered from a Li-ion battery 3,6v (is a mobile phone battery!) and can power out a 5v (for a c-mos camera).

I have a good smallest CCIQ camera, wich works with 5v, but maybe i will use a 12v CCD camera...here are the reason because i need to know if i can do it with a step up converter.

Anyway, no wireless!! just wired!

But if it will be impossible to fit the recorder, i have to try it with the CCIQ camera+10mW TX and a Li-Po 11,1V 300mA battery pack, this option is much more smaller and lighter, but i need to fix my RX station.

I'm afraid about the TX-RX option, because iìm not good with wireless, and i don't know how to solve some problems..

Maybe 10mW is too smaller, but i can't use more power!!

I would like to show you the BBC equipment video " RAPTOR FORCE", is a great video, they used 2 on board cameras on an eagle!!!

And they used a 90cm dish. but the cameras and the TX+battery pack was very very BIGGEST!!

Now, maybe i can do better (that video was filmed many years ago=old technology) but i'm afraid about my RX station, wich is just 1 omni directional 8db and 1 yagi 6db with Oracle and a DV camcorder...

I would like to build 2 very BIG antennas!!! Any suggest??

I would like to do this test:

with a 3,6V Li-ion 300mA i would like to power up a 12V 150mA camera. How it works these step up power supply? Where to buy in europe?

If i power it with a 300mA, the output current max is always 300mA?

Hi,

You can get it from here :

http://www.gotronic.fr/catalog/actif/actif...regulateurs.htm

bottom of page

Alain