Sign in to follow this  
robyr1

measure the video quality signal!

I bought a lot of different antennas/solutions for my experiments, but for testing, is there a software (with hardware?) for my laptop??wich one?

There are some PC based WiFi spectrum analyzers on the market, but I don't have any experience with them. I doubt they would be of much value, except to verify operating frequency and relative transmit RF power.

I'd recommend you save your money and just do simple field testing with your equipment. All it takes is a big field, so you don't have to buy anything. You can use a RF attenuator (2.4Ghz rated) on the Tx or Rx antenna feedline to help simulate long distance, which can help reduce the field size that is needed to make comparison range tests of each antenna.

Yep, thats the way I do it. On the plus side you get very valid data, much better than the theory would surgest, some claims of aerial performance are way out. On the down side it can take quite a long time to keep swapping parts about.

If you do have a go then make sure you keep a 'standard set up' to measure all your future parts/aerials against. I use 2 aerials and a receiver with an RSSI output to do this. I use an 8dbi patch and a 14dbi patch to compare any new aerials which means I can work out the gain quite well. Dont forget to test the beam angle both V & H as this is just as important as the gain.

Terry

If you really want something there's this one, the specs if true would probably give you meaningful hints, but as said I'm not sure about the absolute accuracy and usability of the thing, and... even if you might be all happy to have some figures, it takes a lot more to interpret them, especially knowing that most of the appreciation is subjective.

What they said - Take your gear out, use it, and experiment swapping antennas etc.

making an experiment outside is impossible for me! My experiment will be to fit a camera on a hawk, so is not easy to do an expriment on a bird every time.

I have "one shoot"only, so i have to go there with my equipment 100% full work.

I found also a smallest 720x480 4mbps digital video recorder, 6cmx6cm size, and can be powered from a common 3,6v battery and can power up a 5-12V camera too. But maybe is too big..

About the wireless system, i have some different 2,4ghz antennas, oracle diversity, and 10mW TX. I hope will be enough! and also i would like to try a bi-quad antenna on a 90cm dish, as the BBC team do it for the ANIMAL CAMERA DVD

Edited by robyr1

Don't need a bird every time, just use an R/C airplane like we all do here! There's your flying thing replicating a bird, as close as you can get to the real one ;)

What we meant is do tests outside in the form of putting the TX on a tree or tripod for example, walking around with your RX equipmment, compare distances, dropouts while moving, rotate antenna to see how much polarization mismatch effects.... and all that kind of things.

Got a link to your recorder?