Hi there!

Im having a bit of bad luck with 2.4 at my flying site as everyone is now on spectrum and FASST so i jus get encoding noise on my video, now

im the only 1 flying on 35mhz (uk) ;) and having to wait till no 1 is flying to play with my setup :(

Jus spotted the 5.8ghz modules on activerobots site:

http://www.active-robots.com/products/radi...v-modules.shtml

Has anyone tried them?

I can get some 5.8ghz omni antennas, The only problem would be absolutly critical that the sma connector is mounted correctly.

at 500feet as it says on the specification this mite not be practicle for our use but maybe there might be a chance on a patch ant setup?

Thanx

syco

at 500 feet as it says on the specification this might not be practical for our use but maybe there might be a chance on a patch ant setup?
There are a few users on 5.8GHz A/V and they are having good success. With the Airwave AWM681TX (100mW 5.8GHz Tx) module using a 2-4 dBi dipole, and a 5-8dBi patch on the AWM680RX or AWM682RX Rx, I would expect much further than that. Perhaps easily a couple thousand feet in a wide open area. Maybe more.

I'm not sure if 5.8Ghz is legal in the UK for airbourn use but the band is very quiet for sure, just like 2.4Ghz was a few years back. <_<

I have been testing those modules for a while now with good results. With basic dipoles the range is about 1/3 mile to 1/2 mile but by adding a reflector behind the dipole the range can be doubled.

The best thing is the band is clear, I can get up to 15 wifi links on 2.4Ghz where I fly that make it impossable to get a clear picture. Here is one of my tests using dipoles with reflectors on 5.8Ghz. http://www.vimeo.com/1634177

Terry

Thanks mr RC-Cam ;) that would be just fine for my flying area enyway itil be going on my easystar for testing.

That looks very promising in that video nice and clear thanx terry ;)

looks like i mite have to try them as im struggling on 2.4 at the moment

im going to order some of them modules shortly to have a play with.

I have also moved to spektrum myself now so perhaps i can now have the 2.4 rc and 5.8 on video?

terry it says on your video 4 way aerial is this a diversity module or x2 5.8 modules?

Thanks guys

Syco

It,s 4 aerials on 4 receivers set up to auto switch, you may notice on that video that the picture breaks up then goes clear again as the plane moves from one aerial capture zone to the next. This dose not change the max distance from me but it dose mean I can fly around myself :D

Terry

post-16-1229632750_thumb.jpg

I have also moved to spektrum myself now so perhaps i can now have the 2.4 rc and 5.8 on video?

No noticeable range reduction from my ground tests with 100mW 5.8GHz TX antenna taped to Futaba FASST receiver antenna. :)

I didn't get to fly with the 5.8 gear yet, so I won't talk too much regarding that ;)

I want better weather. :(

It,s 4 aerials on 4 receivers set up to auto switch, you may notice on that video that the picture breaks up then goes clear again as the plane moves from one aerial capture zone to the next. This dose not change the max distance from me but it dose mean I can fly around myself :D

Terry

Terry, you never cease to impress me! :D Nice job as usual!

Thanks for the kind words JMS, wait to you see the next one :)

Christmas has put it on hold for now but I hope to have it ready for testing by the end of Jan, watch this space...

Terry

Just a quick update as to the question of range using 5.8Ghz.

Today I flew 1mile out using an Airwave/DPCAV TX with a standard aerial and my 4 way system, standard dipoles with a simple reflector added.

Its easy for anyone to add a reflector to their RX aerial and get the same range. At no point was the video so bad that I was worried so I could have gone further if I was brave enough ;)

I do have it on video but have not uploaded it as its not very interesting to watch.

Terry

Its easy for anyone to add a reflector to their RX aerial and get the same range.

A mile range is excellent. Can you show a photo of the DiY reflector you made? Perhaps mention the dimensions too? :)

Here's some DiY parabolic reflectors that the WiFi hackers use. These tricks are useful on 5.8GHz A/V Rx's too (should add several dB's of gain):

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Misc/...-reflector.html

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/720362/how_t...olic_reflector/

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

http://binarywolf.com/249/diy-parabolic-reflector.htm

Yes a picture of it is a few post up, just a square of pcb mounted 13mm behind the centre of the dipole. You can see 4 of them on the picture of my 4 way system but 1 would still give a wide beam, no clever curves just a flat plate.

I have had a mile out of it before I think but this time I had the gps osd confirming it :)

Terry

Thanks for the info; I wasn't totally sure if your latest test used a different antenna arrangement. I wonder how far you can go with your 100mW 5.8GHz system? If you push it, please report back.

I stopped at 1 mile as my boy with 10x bins was saying he could only just see the plane. To test to the limit I will have to enlist more helpers with walkie talkies on the planned route. I can never seem to get the help when the weather is good though :(

Terry

Edited by Terry

Terry, which 'auto switch' are you using?

I stopped at 1 mile as my boy with 10x bins was saying he could only just see the plane. To test to the limit I will have to enlist more helpers with walkie talkies on the planned route. I can never seem to get the help when the weather is good though :(

Terry

Don´t know on 5.8ghz but usually analog video doesn´t quit fast gives you some snowy margin to turn back home, don´t you think it would be possible without help?

Or better install an Ardupilot as a return to home device, works very good.

BTW Airwave was going to launch a 500mW 5.8ghz module, does anybody knows how is it going?

Edited by Wavess

Your right !

On past flights using a simple dipole at both ends it did go snowy before it quit but I lost my bottle when I also lost a plane for the first time. The purpose of the flight was so I would know what range I could fly at when I was on my own and still keep a good safety margin, 1 mile is plenty for aerial photo purposes.

I am a little curious what the max range may be though but I don't expect much more.

I have also been working on a auto tracking patch system with 14dBi aerials which is showing promise and I will concentrate on that system for longer ranges.

Not heard anything about the 500mW TX but I guess if it comes along it will be an easy way to double the range.

EDIT just out of interest is the Ardupilot availible ready to go? and what is the price?

Terry

Edited by Terry

BTW Airwave was going to launch a 500mW 5.8ghz module, does anybody knows how is it going?

As of a few weeks ago, they still had not released that product. Although they have advertised it, it still does not exist as a catalog item that a mortal can purchase.

For nearly two years I've done what I can to convince them to build it. A few weeks ago they asked for our input on annual use, which was a good sign that they are still thinking about it. No news other than that, but I expect that they will produce it one day (if not them, some other RF module supplier will do it).

BTW, from the photos on their site, the 5.8GHz / 500mW from iftron looks to me like a Airwave Tx module that is boosted by an external RF PA. So, there is more than one way to skin this cat. But that seems like too much work to merely double the range. It would be much easier for the DiY'er if Airwave released a higher powered module. :)

Your right !

On past flights using a simple dipole at both ends it did go snowy before it quit but I lost my bottle when I also lost a plane for the first time. The purpose of the flight was so I would know what range I could fly at when I was on my own and still keep a good safety margin, 1 mile is plenty for aerial photo purposes.

I am a little curious what the max range may be though but I don't expect much more.

I have also been working on a auto tracking patch system with 14dBi aerials which is showing promise and I will concentrate on that system for longer ranges.

Not heard anything about the 500mW TX but I guess if it comes along it will be an easy way to double the range.

EDIT just out of interest is the Ardupilot availible ready to go? and what is the price?

Terry

It´s not really a ready to fly product, you have to touch some parameters acording to your plane to get it work well.

Price is the best, 24.95$ but you´d need the fma sensor which is 42.95$ and a gps module that almost everybody have one.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...roducts_id=8785

About the Airwave modules, the easy way would be that they develop the 500mW module, that´s right, we need some other options besides the pòpular 2.4ghz, on my flying field I have to go very early in the morning and trying to be alone there, because almost everybody uses 2.4ghz r/c TXs.

Edited by Wavess

I don't want to upset any potential patents :D , Terry, but can I assume your setup uses RSSI?