Sign in to follow this  
Gster

Are packaged systems available

I am a geologist and I would like a system to help me survey properties. I am interested in mostly shooting straight down. I have no time to put in on developing a new system. Can anyone help me put a high-tech system together? Gster

Edited by Gster

Gee Whiz Terry. That looks like a good one. Wish I could afford one. Might even be able to double the flight time by adding a 2d battery in parallel but would reduce the payload by 6oz to 12oz. Still a reasonable payload.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Wish I could afford one.

Are you saying the starting price tag of $14,995 is a problem? :) A DiY Mikrokopter would knock the price down dramatically. But, for those that don't have the time to build such things, then the options are limited.

If the budget is small, and you can spare a few hours for assembly times, then perhaps a GWS SlowStick R/C model (upgraded with a brushless motor) and digital still camera would suffice. But the SlowStick can be a handful to fly in the wind, so they definitely are not the Holy Grail.

Naw. The $14,995 isn't a problem. That is, if I win the lottery, but on a 1200/mo income, I'd still be ~500 short after starving & saving for a year...

I'll have plenty of time in a year or so after I get my motorhome on the road & maybe tackle it then. I've collected most everything I need over the past year except for a few bits of carbon fiber and programming equipment & knowlege. Still need to get a head tracking & GPS unit though unless I can figger out how to integrate one of my Delorme units into it.. Just have to figure out how to teach this old dog new tricks.

Lotsa fun.....

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Or wait a few weeks until this one is available.

I know someone who has been there to see a demo and now has one on order - was really impressed.

Edited by Kilrah

Or you could order a ready to fly Mikrokopter to this guy;

Yea, I've seen one of those, namely this model:

http://www.lcc-shop.de/startbild4.JPG

Good and sturdy build, but that's at the price of about 200gr more weight than usual light builds.

Kilrah nice found,is that an optocopter?Any idea on the price range?

In the 8-10'000€ range, but with a lot of tools, including the specially designed camera mount (doesn't use R/C servos but better geared motors if I remember well, and is very efficiently stabilized in nick/roll), advanced flight software, etc... and ready to fly.

The Draganflyer is about the same price but without a camera mount, or a similar one to those you find for 80€ from LCC... while a good one is just as important and complicated as the aircraft itself...

Well, I'll be able to tell more once my friend receives it and I get to play with it :)

Edited by Kilrah

In the 8-10'000€ range, but with a lot of tools, including the specially designed camera mount (doesn't use R/C servos but better geared motors if I remember well, and is very efficiently stabilized in nick/roll), advanced flight software, etc... and ready to fly.

The Draganflyer is about the same price but without a camera mount, or a similar one to those you find for 80€ from LCC... while a good one is just as important and complicated as the aircraft itself...

Got more pricing details - the Asctec octocopter is 8'000€ ($11'000) with camera mount, the equivalent Draganflyer (with GPS position hold and video camera mount, but including a camera (worth probably $1000) is... $24'000.

Nice "unusual" figures hehe :P

Yikes. And here I am, still waiting for a decent $600 USD kit. I guess I better go back to my corner and wait a bit longer. :)

I'll join you in the corner. My handkerchief is soaked from all my tears...

Yikes. And here I am, still waiting for a decent $600 USD kit. I guess I better go back to my corner and wait a bit longer. :)

The Mikrokopter base kit is around there. Those insane prices are for 100% ready and tested things, with support, pilot training... not really what we're into :)

The Mikrokopter base kit is around there. Those insane prices are for 100% ready and tested things...

If I could find a kit with assembled/tested electronics, compass option, & flight battery, etc. for $600 USD, I'd be a happy camper. {I've got a good R/C Tx, just need the rest.} At this point it looks like what I want would run me ~$1200.

From what you have seen/heard, including any behind-the-scene rumors, is there any hope that the cost of will every get closer to my $600 target? Perhaps if the off-shore model producers got involved?

There's some reasoning behind my madness. I tried electric heli's a few years ago and purchased a 400 class model. About a year after getting it, the market became saturated with better models at dramatically lower prices. That experience reinforced that sooner or later, prices on these things often fall due to the China effect. So, I'm holding on to that thought, patiently waiting. :)

If I could find a kit with assembled/tested electronics, compass option, & flight battery, etc. for $600 USD, I'd be a happy camper. {I've got a good R/C Tx, just need the rest.} At this point it looks like what I want would run me ~$1200.

From what you have seen/heard, including any behind-the-scene rumors, is there any hope that the cost of will every get closer to my $600 target? Perhaps if the off-shore model producers got involved?

OK...

I'd doubt about it. It's a niche market, and most of the people interested in it envision "professional" uses, and want advanced features, not something cheap...

And as we know, targeted to the general public meand a race down the price ladder, while professional means just the contrary...

I agree that it is a niche market and the professional users will continue to see high prices. But, I am hoping that just a fraction of the attention given to the electric R/C heli market is directed to a decent quad model. When that happens, I envision lower cost frames, cheap I2C ESC's and host boards, plus affordable ARF kits from China. And world peace.

At some point I'll jump in and build a MK. Maybe late spring, when my schedule is hopefully not so messed up and I have some time to play. As it is, getting time to fly one of my foamies is a rare treat indeed. I'm on my way out the door to fly as we speak, so today is a good day!

Hmm, I wonder if the OP has ever returned to see the responses to his question. :)

I agree that it is a niche market and the professional users will continue to see high prices. But, I am hoping that just a fraction of the attention given to the electric R/C heli market is directed to a decent quad model. When that happens, I envision lower cost frames, cheap I2C ESC's and host boards, plus affordable ARF kits from China. And world peace.

At some point I'll jump in and build a MK. Maybe late spring, when my schedule is hopefully not so messed up and I have some time to play. As it is, getting time to fly one of my foamies is a rare treat indeed. I'm on my way out the door to fly as we speak, so today is a good day!

Hmm, I wonder if the OP has ever returned to see the responses to his question. :)

Thomas, when I first saw the price of the MK, it struck me. Then I went on rcg and started building the spectrosolutions quad bsed on OMM's thread. While waiting for the parts, I decided to get the MK after all, and it came faster than the other components for the other quad.

It took me 6-7 hours to build mine - because I was taking pictures every step of the way - to possibly put together a build documentation. Nevertheless, when finaly powered up, everyhting woke up and I had the thing in the air 5 minutes after the first startup. Now, contrary to that I had an issue with the controller for the other quad from the first moment. Even though it was factory tested. Sent it back, waited another 3 weeks till it came back repaired. I was flying the MK happily by then. Finally finished the other quad, and to my surprise, I had to sit on top of it all the time to control it just like a helicopter - versus the MK which would sit in the air on it's own if it is properly trimmed. I tried many things till I decided to quit trying, because there is one universal thuth: "you get what you pay for..."

The MK is a very stable platform, and it is worth every penny. No need to go out and fly outside, you can do inside - or even on the front porch - most of my videos are captured taking off from my front yard... Very convenient.

Oh - if you decide to buy and, you know where to find me... :) we'll work on the price for you to bring it closer to your expectations... :)

Edited by oxxyfx

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm definitely drawn to the MK versus the other quad models. When things settle down around here I will have a chat with you. :)