Kedar

Thrust and Payload (x3d-bl+hacker a20-22l)

We are making a Autonomous flier (quad rotor based) which will carry Sensor system(LIDAR,INS etc) and a camera; and is capable of obstacle avoidance and precise hovering.

We have narrowed our search for a quad rotor flier to 'X-3D- Scientific' as our base model of which we will change motors,propellers and battery.

We plan to change the motors with Hacker A 20-22l outrunner and the standard propeller of 10*4.5 and also the battery with a 5000/6000 mah for higher flight time (about 10 mins).

Certain queries:

1. Will the flier with new configuration and total weight of 1433gm produce enough thrust (about 1.8kgs) ?

2.Is X-3d best one around?

3.Do we have better motors (producing more thrust ) ?

4. Is 6000 mAh correct estimation of the Battery type?

Hmm, I don't feel good with that idea.

The X-3D in this version is designed to carry 200gr. If you put bigger motors, these will draw more current, which the motor controllers (that are the same as on the standard X-3D BL version) won't be able to handle AFAIK.

Thrust should be more as what you quote too, count about 2x total weight as a considerable margin is needed to maintain regulation in rough counditions or for speedy maneuvers.

I'd look at the Mikrokopter platform as it's more in that range, the controllers should suffice and can be replaced if needed (with some hacking). It also has a full IMU you could use for your purposes, and can do GPS navigation with the standard equipment.

I have lifted 600gr payload for 7 mins with the standard kit and a 2200mAh 3s pack, for a total weight of about 1350gr.

Hmm, I don't feel good with that idea.

The X-3D in this version is designed to carry 200gr. If you put bigger motors, these will draw more current, which the motor controllers (that are the same as on the standard X-3D BL version) won't be able to handle AFAIK.

Thrust should be more as what you quote too, count about 2x total weight as a considerable margin is needed to maintain regulation in rough counditions or for speedy maneuvers.

I'd look at the Mikrokopter platform as it's more in that range, the controllers should suffice and can be replaced if needed (with some hacking). It also has a full IMU you could use for your purposes, and can do GPS navigation with the standard equipment.

I have lifted 600gr payload for 7 mins with the standard kit and a 2200mAh 3s pack, for a total weight of about 1350gr.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually we dont want speedy maneuvers.We want some thing thats stable and flies well (more control in low speed flight).

Can you please explain AFAIK,Microkopter .

Is MicroKopter a quadkopter?

I was talking of "speedy maneuvers" more in the way of fighting wind gusts, compensate for weight imbalances or handle accelerations/decelerations. Reserve power is important - if any of your 4 motors hits full power at any time this will result in the quadro falling out of control, tipping over and falling to the ground with your valuable payload. So full thrust is something you never want to be coming close to. Each of the above mentioned events can cause very uneven loads on the motors, so in those cases even the sum of the max thrusts of all motors can lift the thing, one of them might not be able to overcome the dynamic load it has to fight. Your 1.8kg thrust for 1.43kg total weight means that each motor only has about 90gr of margin until it's overwhelmed, and that's assuming your craft is perfectly balanced.

2:1 max thrust to total weight with payload ratio is really the minimum you should aim for. You'd commonly fly a quadro between 4 and 2 depending on the payload.

Mikrokopter is the name of one particular quadrocopter system, just as the X-3D is one of them.

http://www.mikrokopter.de

Edited by Kilrah