Sign in to follow this  
Aerial Platform

Inition Goggles

It doesn't look like they're readily available from what I can see. The documentation has several "to be determined" entries and all I can find is commercial documentation more in the form of announcements.

As they say it uses the same screens/optics as the Z800, so shouldn't be too bad. But most likely pretty expensive.

I wonder if the OLEDS will prove more robust than the LCD displays. My Fat Shark's now have spots just from exposure to overhead compact fluorescents. The video circuits seem to be getting flakey, the display tends to white out and get moire patterns when the camera is exposed to a

bright light. My old 920's acted similarly just before they quit working. I'd be willing to spend more for something that would hold up better under

the somewhat harsh conditions my goggles get subjected to.

Edited by Blue Sky

The OLEDs used here are very early ones (these have been on sale for a few years now while we're still waiting for the availability of OLED TVs)...

They are good but have those defects manufacturers are trying to solve before releasing TVs and screens where one would expect very high quality. Notably, there is a sort of static noise on the panels. Imagine grain on a photo taken in low light, the screens show similar noise but always the same pattern, regardless of the displayed image, because all dots don't have the exact same brightness. The second maybe bigger problem is burn-in. The Z800 are made to be used on a PC. But if you leave them on for only 5 minutes showing your desktop background, and open a bhite page, you'll still clearly see the background as if it was set at maybe 30% opacity. It seems to be more or less reversible (They still mention clearly in the manual not to leave a fixed pattern, and the goggles turn off autoimatically after 5 mins without moving them), but can be very annoying at times.

I had posted a pretty detailed report about my impressions when I got them, must be around here.

The screens/electonics used in your goggles must be of poor quality, I have used several goggles and none have shown any degradation over time. The ones I use myself are 10 years old :)

Edited by Kilrah

I'd say that You've been lucky!

There are plenty of tales of woe out there.

Burned screens, broken temples, bad connectors,

bad modules etc.

Or maybe I just fly too close to the sun!