Sign in to follow this  
sockem357

How to improve range between controller and plane

Antennas, antennas, antennas. A better receiving antenna for a video link if that's what you're talking about.

A good Tx and RX and noise suppression in the planes equipment & wiring, if that's what you're talking about.

Antennas, antennas, antennas. A better receiving antenna for a video link if that's what you're talking about.

A good Tx and RX and noise suppression in the planes equipment & wiring, if that's what you're talking about.

I was actually talking about between the remote (futaba) and the plane. Any answers will be greatly appreciated

OK. The RC system. There's not too much that can be done about range except to keep the Rx and Rx antenna away from the other wires in the plane as much as possible to lessen "noise" pickup from the motor and servos which can "desensitize" the Rx resulting in decreased range. Since it's "line of sight" frequencies, you'll probably lose sight of the plane before you lose control unless you're FPVing. For most brands, I have heard 1000 or a bit more meters mentioned for max range (still line of sight) before loss of control. The only antenna that can be modified (if you have the proper measuring equipment) would be the Rx antenna as nothing can (by law) be modified on the Tx.

The only alternative would be the Amateur Radio Bands where one can build or modify equipment as wanted for an increase in range.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

As Ron says, noise from your own plane it the main range killer.

I keep the aerial well away from everything, use an opto coupler for the receiver outputs and use a separate battery just to power the receiver.

Terry

... use an opto coupler for the receiver outputs...

Interesting - link to UK supplier?

Interesting - link to UK supplier?

This is the only one I know of http://www.smservices.net/acatalog/Large_Model_Units.html

but there are a few circuits on the forums I have seen if you don't mind building one.

Mine is built into my UHF receiver so I don't use any of the add on units.

Terry

Edited by Terry

Waht UHF system are you using with the optocouplers?

It's my own design based on 458Mhz modules retuned to 459Mhz for UK use only, it's about the only thing that is an advantage in the UK :P

Terry