Mr.RC-Cam

Artificial Horizon

For those that are interested in the MAHI parts please review the instructions: http://www.rc-cam.com/imageahi/MAHI_Instr_RevB.pdf

For pricing, please see: http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?show...opic=294&st=237

The required SMT Parts are available from Digi-Key for about $25. You will also need the FMA Co-Pilot Sensor and cable. All part numbers are listed in the PDF file referenced above.

If you wish to purchase the MAHI parts then please PM me and I will provide my PayPal acct information. Please indicate your RC-CAM member name when you send PayPal funds. If you cannot use PayPal then US Postal Money Orders will be accepted.

Please keep in mind that this is an experimental device. Build and use it at your own risk. If you have any questions then please post them in this thread.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Hi Thomas,

I wish to purchase the MAHI parts Experimentor's Kit #2: Programmed PIC, PCB, all SMT components: $53

Please provide me with your PayPal acct information.

Congratulations for the assembling instruction manual. Great job!

Regards,

Roberto Carlei.

Sep-01-2004 UPDATE: 1 MAHI pcb/pic kit is remaining.

I have a one more PCB left. Once it is gone, I doubt I will make more (the limited demand does not warrant it). If you want one, please send me a PM. There is NO need to post a "I want one" at this point.

I believe that all the forum members that wanted to try this project have ordered the board & PIC. So, I will be posting an invite to the MAHI project on the eZone discussion board. There is a slight chance that the remaining boards will be taken by the techies there, so be forewarned that the well may soon run dry.

post-6-1093021074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I have one MAHI Rev B board remaining. In order to help sell it off, I put together a full parts kit for it. The only part you need to obtain is the Co-Pilot sensor.

$55 plus shipping (CON-USA shipping is $3.50, outside USA is $4.50).

Do you have any further plans for the code? Do you think it's possible to put more data on the screen (similar to TL100 board) and keep attitude glyps using the same PIC?

Adding more text would also require hardware changes. Maybe a different MCU or perhaps a co-processor sort of solution. It is something that I would probably do if substantial interest in the MAHI project should ever occur.

I appreciate anything and everything that the current MAHI fans can do to help push the project along. It is such a interesting device that perhaps there is a chance it will eventually be noticed by more hobbyists that will want one. So, for you folks that have one, and enjoy using it, share what you are up to with everyone! :)

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I think that MAHI is the most innovative project to come out of 'RC-CAM labs' to date :D . I am using it now all the time. It will be cool to put in TL100 functionality into MAHI to save space and weight and money but I understand that this is very time consuming project. I am currently trying to interface Carvec to MAHI board by interpreting Carvec text output with Mega128 processor and simulating IR sensor with PWM modulator. I'll let you know about the results. Keep up the great work!

I am currently trying to interface Carvec to MAHI board by interpreting Carvec text output with Mega128 processor and simulating IR sensor with PWM modulator

Whoa! That's the type of hacking I like :P

I was thinking of a similar thing to intercept the I2C data between the TL100's controller and the overlay generator to reconstruct the infos and send them back as digital data to a PC on the ground... Another thing I'm unable to find time for though.... :(

Cyber-Flyer, using the Mega's hardware PWM resources is a nice way to simulate the required analog voltages for MAHI's inputs. If you run into any interfacing snags, that you think I can help with on the MAHI end, then let me know.

using the Mega's hardware PWM resources is a nice way to simulate the required analog voltages

Yep, that's the plan. Just need to tell my boss at work that my wife calls me home and tell my wife that boss wants me at work ... and go hide in the basement. Sounds familiar?

I have a home office so I only need to tell my boss that I am sick. My wife still sees me going to the 'office' :)

Hi All,

Just curious what software everyone is using to make the instruments for their ground displays. I'm thinking about learning OpenGL but don't know if there is an easier way. I'd also like to be able to replay the flight from data logs on the ground software.

Thanks,

Jim

It's been a few weeks since the MAHI boards sold out. How are you builders coming along? Anything to report?

It would be great to hear some additional news from those that have not reported back. I especially would like to read some project feedback (good or bad).

Completed MAHI last week. This project went together in three evenings of work and except for the LED was a medium dificulty soldering task. I have problems with LUMEX LEDs. They are extremely small and flip around when trying to position them on the board. Four LEDs went AWOL on me and the fifth one was missed marked or so it seems. Lined up the doted end with the line on the board and nothing. After PM to Rc-Cam I flipped the LED and alleluia! I opted for the seperate programming switch to keep the overall size to a minimum (1 3/8 x 1 3/8"). Configuration is a snap. I can not detect any degradation in the video with the MAHI in the loop. Nice unit Mr. Rc-Cam!

Now what am I to do with it? For a start it is the smallest overlay board I've seen bar none. At first I used it to do just that overlay my ham call sign on video transmissions. Now I'm in the process of piggybacking the MAHI onto an Rc-Cam R/C Video Switch and B/W 200 MW Video transmitter that I have in a box of about 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.0 inches. Total weight about 3 ounces with antenna. The 2 cameras, Rc-Cam boards and B/W transmitter will be powered by one 5 cell NiMH battery pack (2000 ma) with total system weight of approx. 9 ounces even less with 2 Lipos.

Willl post picture when finished.

Joekadet

Photo of Box as is now

post-6-1097095247_thumb.jpg

Edited by joekadet

Assembled my MAHI board last week in about 4-5 hours with the help of a friend. I used surgical nippers and microscope with 10-16x magnification (my job tools) that were of great help. It was a nice experience to see it working fine after assembling.

I especially would like to read some project feedback (good or bad).

Mr RC-CAM, I only found some hardware details that should be improved. S1, S2 and S3 switches should be together for a setup separate module. The LED should be solded not on the board, but a wire extension should be used to place it out on the box. To solve these hardware issues, I used a silicone tube with optical fiber inside to conduct LED brightness out of the box, and add 3 holes on the cap box, each one for the switches. If one is intending to use the MAHI board bare, it should not be an issue.

I made a try, connecting it with TL100 telemetry board and it worked great with no video degradation.

Video input will come from a DCR PC-100 Sony Mini-DV camera.

Video output will be connected to two 2.4GHz 1W and one 900MHZ 500mW transmitters that wil be on board of a Nova Cuatro heli with OS 91-x spec engine and 800mm carbon blades, with a homemade pantilt camera system.

On the ground I will use diversity system to select best video signal.

The tests on the bench were gratifying. As soon as I have my records from field tests I will post for you to know.

Now I am in the process of assembling the diversity system.

See below the pictures related to my assembling work.

Regards,

Roberto Carlei

post-6-1097114451_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlei_aeromidia

It's gratifying to hear that the MAHI boards are working. The SMT soldering is a challenge, so my hats off to you folks that successfully completed the assembly steps. Please Keep the feedback coming.

It's winter project time. Why not build a MAHI?

I am considering doing a limited run of MAHI pcbs. If you are seriously interested then add your name to this thread. Once five names have been collected, and the orders prepaid, I will have the boards fabricated. Delivery would be about two weeks after that.