Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Help: Photoshop Elements

I've been using an ancient version of Photoshop to retouch photos. It did all I needed, but was grouchy with WinXP. So, I recently upgraded to Photoshop Elements 7. It is a huge improvement and has more features than I will ever need. However, I keep running into a problem regarding the brush tool. It has me stumped.

There are times I just want the brush to paint on top of an existing area. I don't want it to mix or transform anything. I just want it to act like a basic stupid brush. But, I can't get it to do that!

The online manual says I need to set the brush mode to Normal, but I don't see that mode in the drop down list. I can set it to things like Darken, Overlay, Color Dodge, and two dozen other modes, but none act like a simple brainless brush.

What in the world am I doing wrong?

Never used Photoshop, but I think you need to add another layer to over paint the underlying color and then merge the layers.. By adding the layer I think you'd have access to the normal brush.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Thanks. I've used another layer as a workaround. But, according to the docs, there should be a "Normal" brush mode that does this instead.

The Normal brush does not show up in my brush mode list but I can see it shown in the tutorials. For example, it is displayed as the selected brush mode in a few places like these:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopEleme...5225596550.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopEleme...377A7834DB.html

Gosh it's been so long since I worked with images. Adobe seems to have a million more combination's, tools, & effects than I've ever used or had reason to. My experience has been with Paint Shop Pro from v3 through v7. I think they're at v12 now. Stopped paying for upgrades when I figured out that I didn't use any of the "new" stuff and the retirement money being fixed income didn't allow for it anymore.. I keep Paint.Net on the laptop now & PSP on the desktop just in case I have a need to work with images. Price is nice. Free.

The Detail Smart Brush tool seems to me to be the one you'd use for your app but maybe it can't be widened enough to be used as a "normal" brush.

Dunno...

Sorta sounds like you're creating color schemes for your models.

I imagine that the tutorials could be wrong and Adobe just hasn't caught it (yet), or it hasn't been reported to them. Just guessing..

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

I don't have Elements but CS2, in CS2 there is a slider for hardness as well as size.

Terry

Thanks again for the advice.

I found that the "Normal" mode appeared in the drop down Mode list when the Pencil tool was chosen. So, that confirmed that the feature did indeed exist. However, while playing with the pencil, I chose another selection in the Mode list (this is the same list that also shows the Normal mode). When I went back to re-select the Normal mode, it was gone! The same thing happens to the Dissolve mode if I select it. The other modes are not affected and they always remain in the Mode's drop down list.

After messing around, and getting nowhere, I found the semi-hidden menu tab labeled "Reset All Tools." After clicking it, the Normal mode returned to the brush and pencil menus. Of course they are lost once again if I select any other mode. It requires the reset tool feature to restore them. This is all too weird.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or some cruel twisted feature. Hopefully an experienced PSE7 user drops by and provides the details to the mystery. There's a reason for everything, as they say.

At least I can now use the Normal brush mode to do simple brainless brush work. That is all I wanted after all. :)

Good. Glad to see you can make it usable for your needs. Roundabout way of having to do it though. I would imagine it's a bug..

Wouldn't hurt to ask them. Maybe they even have rewards for debugging their expensive software...

Wouldn't hurt to ask them. Maybe they even have rewards for debugging their expensive software...

Overall, my experience with tech support at the large software companies has rarely resulted in a satisfactory solution. So, I thought about it and decided my chances for useful help would be best found in a forum of technically competent people. This place is the best I know (rcgroups is fabulous too). :)

Today I spent a couple more hours retouching some new catalog photos. I must say, now that I can set the brush, life has been grand. So far I find Photoshop 7 is a brilliant app; it should handle all I will ever need to do. Still wish I knew the reason for the odd menu behavior that caused me so much frustration. If I ever find out I'll post the details.

Yes Photshop 7 is good but if you don't know what you are missing until you try it, I would never go back to 7 now after using CS2 for so long. The heal tool is my favorite as it makes it so easy to remove unwanted things from your pictures.

Terry

I almost went with CS2, but PS7 was at a bargain price at Costco (a big warehouse store in the USA). I bought it late last year and did not install it until recently.

I like the healing tool too; It is a new feature in PS7. It seems to me that the features of PS7 and CS2 are merging and the two programs share a lot of things. But for sure, PS7 is really meant for simple minded guys like me.

That sounds great, my version of PS7 dose not have the healing tool or a few other goodies so it seems you have a bargin :)

Terry

is really meant for simple minded guys like me.

Simple minded huh....

If that's the case, I must be the blathering idiot....