Sign in to follow this  
headhunter23

Contemplating hacking my spectrum 2.4ghz to add googles and video rx

Hello... I've been playing with the idea of hacking my spectrum, adding a couple anyvolts to it and make a plug in for both googles(which also would require hack) and a power plugin for the 900mhz rx(essentially mount a rx directly to bottom of remote where eventually a amp booster will be added too). Question is having the 900mh zrx and 2.4ghz tx so close together a bad idea? Any other concerns?

Goal would be to have everything in hand, a second rx setup would be in backpack or suitcase or something for more range with diversity.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23

Personally I would not mount my video RX anywhere near my TX and I would not use any switch mode PSUs on a video system, TX or RX. But that dose not mean it won't work it's just that I always play it super safe. I have had problems in the past and now I don't even think of putting myself through the pain ;)

Terry

hm.... that's what I woulda thought the response would be. Would just be sweet to have everything in your hand, no messing aboot eh?!

Anyone working on an all in one system yet? ie video and telemetry etc all in one remote?

Ivan.

Question is having the 900mhz rx and 2.4ghz tx so close together a bad idea?

Even though they are on vastly different frequencies, success is usually a flip of the coin when that sort of thing is done. Fortunately you can easily bench test the setup to check the 900MHz receiver with the strong nearby 2.4GHz RF source.

Would just be sweet to have everything in your hand, no messing aboot eh?!

Indeed it would, I fly at a field only 3 min walk from my house but it means I have to carry everything myself (no helpers). Why don't you do some testing and see if its going to be a problem. For sure it can be done but as Thomas says how hard it will be is a flip of the coin.

Terry

Yea... guess why not test, read thomas shcherrer(spelled incorrectly, sorry)'s long range system had antenna's laying on eachother without issue... although im sure uhf is different or something. Pita part is getting a helper to screw around for 20-30min with frs's a klick away on some street with line o site. Sounds like fun :rolleyes:.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23

I've never been able to settle on an "integrated" solution. I've thought about and made several, but always ended dropping them.

The first thought is "let's make a simple, receiver-goggles" thing. But then I fly a couple of times with that, and think it's stupid not to be able to record, so add a recorder, but then it becomes bulky and with wires again and loses all the initial interest.

Or give up on the patch antenna, but then you start flying and get frustrated because of reduced range.

So in the end I rather tend to forget about having "just a short flight here and there"... I will fly less often, but everytime I do I'll have all my trusty and messy gear and will be able to enjoy it fully without drawback.

For 2.4GHz video there's the fatshark goggles. They have an integrated receiver, their own battery, so basically you just put the goggles on and you fly. By just adding a single wire you can link them to a recorder you could have in your pocket.

The drawback is that the receiver isn't very sensitive, and finding/attaching a patch antenna needs some hacking and makes you look like an alien. But at least if you stay "stock" and limit yourself to short range flying it's very handy.

But as you're using 2.4GHz R/C and 900MHz video you're out of luck anyway.

well can u do anything with this xbee modem stuff that i've seen a bunch of times on diydrones? Could it handle telemetry video... be low enough mhz?etc... perhaps merge everything with a plug out for a secondary antenna which would have automatic tracking?

don't know too much about it, just saw it a bunch, seems to be used in downloading telemetry for aiming patch but can be used for more.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23

The XBee modules are things that allow to send data (at relatively low rates, not suitable for video) between 2 of them. That's all.

I'm not really sure what you have in mind there though.

Ahhh yea wasn't sure if it could handle video too... anyways was wondering if there was some tech already available that could essentially replace both video and controls tx and rx and be a simple unit hence everything would be on whatever mhz you chose, or is it a bad idea to have that much data back and forth?

Edited by headhunter23

Nope, nothing is readily available at consumer level to do such a thing.