Sign in to follow this  
small_rcer

Possible new RC-Cam version

Good Day;

I have built and happily use a version of the camera trigger on my simple digital camera. Now I have bought a more complex and capable camera. I have re-read all the docs on the various versions of the Rc-cam switches. I think I need a version that does not appear to exist.

The closest version to my needs is the one for the Sony. It has a 2 stage trigger, a focus or exposure switch followed by the shutter switch. It indicates in the docs that the Sony does not go to sleep when using this device, but does not explain how the camera is kept awake. Could I get an explanation? It may be that it hits the focus/exposure periodically to keep the camera awake. If that is the case then it might be able to be used.

I have bought a Samsung S630 and a Kodak 700 series. Both of these have a 2 stage focus/shutter switch and a separate on/off switch.

When either of these cameras go to sleep, they need the on/off switch triggered to wake it up. Pushing the focus/exposure portion of the switch will not wake them up.

What I think is needed is a version of the Sony RC-CAM switch, with the 2 stage focus-exposure followed by the shutter, that has a sense line for the camera going to sleep and then a provision to trigger the on/off switch for a hard wake up.

OR a version of the simple camera trigger switch with a 2 stage focus/exposure trigger followed by a shutter trigger after some delay. The simple version such as the version for the Aiptek but with a 2 stage focus/exposure followed by a shutter trigger.

I look forward to any explanation on the Sony trigger or the possibility of a new version.

Thanks

Jim H

The closest version to my needs is the one for the Sony. It has a 2 stage trigger, a focus or exposure switch followed by the shutter switch. It indicates in the docs that the Sony does not go to sleep when using this device, but does not explain how the camera is kept awake. Could I get an explanation?

Every 100 seconds the Exposure signal is asserted for a few milliseconds. This keeps the camera awake since it thinks a finger is pressing buttons.

Every 100 seconds the Exposure signal is asserted for a few milliseconds. This keeps the camera awake since it thinks a finger is pressing buttons.

That is what I had hoped. So now if I set the timer on the camera to stay awake for at least 2 minutes then the camera will stay awake as needed ready for picture taking. This will work.

Thanks for the explanation. Will take photos of the Samsung internals if I can get it apart and working.

Jim H