Sign in to follow this  
W3FJW-Ron

Reversing camera scans

I'm just wondering whether there's an easy way to reverse the scan, or if it's even possible, on these cameras we use.

Reason, I have 3 cmos cams, all the same, that I'd like to use for rear view cameras on my RV. It's a bit disconcerting when looking in the monitor and it looks like you're turning right when you're going left.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Some high-end CCDs (those with buttons at the back and on-screen menu for example) have that feature. On others, not much chance. However, I've seen many monitors that could do the horizontal flip. Maybe you'd better look at this end.

Edited by Kilrah

It was easy doing monitors & TVs when they had tubes. Unfortunately Kilrah, I got out of that business about the time solid state really started taking over (70s) so all the new stuff available is pretty much greek to me which means I'm shooting in the dark with this project. I do have 2 of those $30 B&W 6" Tv sets that I'll be using but no schematics that I've been able to find. Last time I searched was 5, maybe 6 years ago so maybe another search is in order. That was my original thought. Reversing the scan on those units.

But, just thought I'b pass it by you fellows here in the hope that I could unsolder a resistor from one pad and solder it to another. Never been that lucky though (yet).

I do have 3 identical camera/Tx & Rx units so what I can do for one will apply to all. Thanks for the reply. If you should happen to run across something on your travels around the web, I'd appreciate a link.

If your $30 B/W TV's have CRT's, then reversing the image is as simple as flipping the horiz deflection coil wires. I suspect you already knew that. Some of the modern portable TFT's have a reversing feature (via switch or menu) because these monitors are sometimes used as reverse back up displays in automobiles. Some plain Jane video cameras can be changed to reverse the image too, but it's rarely easy if they didn't provide a direct way to do that.

They are CRT monitors, and by golly, I had forgotten all about the deflection coils. Thanks for sweeping some of the cobwebs away. 'ppreciate it. Problem solved.. Now on to a video mixer... I do also have 2 6" TFT monitors from a CD player, but I'll let them for another day when I have a workbench set up with my test gear.

Also won this item on Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...:EOIBSA:US:1123 & I'm hoping it's worth the money. His store seems to have good prices overall. Reminds me of walking around the old surplus stores leaving a trail of drool every where I went.

I should add that I didn't notice it was a PAL unit, but a quick email to them and they happily shipped an NTSC camera.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Once you receive the new camera just look up the data sheets to the image processing IC's that are seen on it. You might find that there is a control pin that is used to reverse the image. This is not always the case (sometimes it is firmware controlled) but it is worth a shot.

I'll do that although this camera is designated for use in my future FPV system, but info like that is always nice to know.