Sign in to follow this  
JetPilot

Band Pass Filters for 900 MHZ video, Is it worth it ?

Here are some very cute little band pass filters that you can buy for just about any frequency you want ! I am wondering if one of these little guys might help me or not. I have a DEMI 26 dBI receive preamp on a standard 900 mhz video receiver, but it really seems to have no effect on sensitivity and video quality. Someone suggested that the receiver might be desensitizing due to strong out of band signals with this preamp, or even without it ! Does anyone here thinik that it would be worth the 40 bucks each to put these on my video recievers ? I fly in rual areas, but am not that far from the city either, and there are cell towers around. I would like to give these a try, but I dont want to spend 80 bucks on nothing but insertion loss if they would not have any positive effect. What do you guys think ?

http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/VBFZ-925+.pdf

JettPilot

post-2644-1237052470_thumb.jpg

26 dB preamp? What's the noise figure for that thing? Looks to much to be good to me...

Here is the Preamp, I dont really notice a difference using it though, video noise with weak signal seems about the same at long distance bith with or without it. Some have suggested I might be overwelming the receiver with out of band signals with it, which is why I am now considering a band pass filter.

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/cat-frame.htm

JettPilot

I agree thats a lot, unless you have a very long co-ax down lead. I have found in the past that even with a long down lead it is very easy to have too much gain, it seems most receivers have a sweet spot for signal where they work best. Too much gain swamps the receiver and the signal is just as bad as too little signal. An adjustable attenuator is best so that you can tweek it while watching.

The band pass filter may help if you if you have high power out of band transmitters near by, even your own R/C TX.

I wound think they are best on the TX side though and may kill interference to the R/C RX or GPS.

Terry