Sign in to follow this  
DeadFox

Xcam2 voltage requirements

Hello-

I love this site and the rc-cam webpages! I purchased an Xcam2 and am modifying it per the RC-cam4 instructions, but haven't purchased the panasonic camera. My question is, does the xcam2 camera also run on 4.8volts? or does it require 12V 80mA? So far, two techs that I spoke with at X10.com have told me the camera Voltage requirements are 12V 80mA.. I would rather not fry my camera...

thanks for your help/info!

-DF

The X10's CMOS camera is designed for 12VDC (80mA sounds close enough). Its additional current draw is too high for the DC-DC hack shown in the RC-CAM4 project pages.

Thanks Mr.RC-Cam! I may have to switch to the panasonic camera, but I did test it by connecting the 12v camera lead to pin 4 of the 580-NME0512S and it works.. What problems will I run into with it set up this way? The additional current draw concerns me. Thanks again for your help! I am sure there are many that may be in the same boat as me...

The DC-DC is designed to deliver up to 80mA. This is plenty to power the X10 Tx. Higher current loads will cause the output voltage to sink. If your CMOS camera and X10 are both connected to it, and they work well, then you are in luck. I think you need to be above 9V for good results.