Sign in to follow this  
gebgdc

underwater video feed

Hi There everyone,

I am starting a new public art project that will send live underwater images up to a boat-mounted screen. We also want to provide a wireless upload so that people can view this over the internet.

The camera will be under the boat, fed to a mac mini onboard, fed to an LED screen on the roof of the boat. How do you suggest I accommodate the wireless video upload? satellite? or a wireless link to the boat company's land based ADSL line onshore. (The feed would have to load to this onshore line over quite a distance, up to a kilometre away depending where the boat is on it's taxi route). BTW, the video feed from the camera is 520 tv lines of resolution, but I assume we would have to down rez to upload real-time with out a huge lag.

Any advice very much appreciated!

thanks!

G

post-5391-1238008881_thumb.jpg

Edited by gebgdc

If I understand well, what you need suggestions about is the mac -> internet link?

I'd think of mobile phone/3G internet if available in that area.

Otherwise, 1km should be doable with high power WLAN APs or just good antennas on standard ones.

If I understand well, what you need suggestions about is the mac -> internet link?

I'd think of mobile phone/3G internet if available in that area.

Otherwise, 1km should be doable with high power WLAN APs or just good antennas on standard ones.

thanks! I have an Iphone and 3G is everywhere, but it may not be fast enough?

I will check on the WLAN AP. Thanks for that one!

Pure 3G could be a bit slow at 384kbps, but if your provider supports HSUPA and you get a USB dongle for your computer that does too, speeds can go up to 5.7Mbps.

If you go that route you'd better check with the mobile phone providers what they can offer and at what price, as in some countries internet traffic through mobile can be pretty costly. It would be good to choose one that has a base antenna pretty close to your location, as speeds go down with distance.

But to transfer decent quality video you shouldn't need much more than 500-700kbps effective uplink. The idea would be to run a streaming server on your computer on the boat, that compresses the video for broadcast, then uploads that to another streaming relay server on the land to which the viewers will connect. As you're on a Mac I unfortunately can't advise about software, I'm not at all into the Apple stuff ;)