Sign in to follow this  
garris2

Discussion - 900MHz Rx RSSI point

You and your voltmeter should be able to find it (if it is available) in under five minutes. There are very few pins on the typical RF sardine can, so it makes the search very easy.

Basically you monitor each module pin as you turn the Tx on and off. The module pin that has a voltage which swings a couple volts, in concert with your Tx's on/off operation, is the RSSI.

To get you started, here's RSSI info on a 2.4GHz model that has the popular Comtech module. As you can see, there's not many signal pins to check:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983173

oh thanks for that.

I didn't realize there would be a direct pin out for RSSI, I thought I would only be able to access it on the actual PCB somewhere which is far too complicated to take a guess at which point would be the RSSI.

thanks again

cheers Geoff

You and your voltmeter should be able to find it (if it is available) in under five minutes. There are very few pins on the typical RF sardine can, so it makes the search very easy.

Basically you monitor each module pin as you turn the Tx on and off. The module pin that has a voltage which swings a couple volts, in concert with your Tx's on/off operation, is the RSSI.

To get you started, here's RSSI info on a 2.4GHz model that has the popular Comtech module. As you can see, there's not many signal pins to check:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983173

Edited by garris2

Assuming your RF module has RSSI, it's really that simple. Of course we will want to see a photo or drawing of the RSSI pin's location once you ID it. :)