Sign in to follow this  
Richiela

Inspire OSD with Garmin GPS 18

Using the GPS18 was discussed here: http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1114

Assuming your GPS18 has a real RS-232 port, connecting it would be similar to the Garmin Geko 201 GPS. The manual has details on the 4-pin GPS connector (on Inspire) that is used to connect handheld GPS receivers.

Using the GPS18 was discussed here: http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1114

Assuming your GPS18 has a real RS-232 port, connecting it would be similar to the Garmin Geko 201 GPS. The manual has details on the 4-pin GPS connector (on Inspire) that is used to connect handheld GPS receivers.

If I'm reading this correctly, It appears I only need to plug into RS232 port?

According to docphi's remarks in that discussion, the GPS18 appears to have a common RS232 interface with standard signal levels. So, if that is true, then the GPS would be similar to the popular Garmin Geko 201 and would be installed on Inspire's 4-pin RS-232 port connector just like the Geko.

However, I have no experience with the GPS18 so I cannot confirm anything. It would be best to just look through the GPS's technical manual to see if it would be a good candidate for Inspire. Inspire needs a GPS that offers NMEA sentences and RS-232 port (not USB or logic level RS-232). That's not asking much, so success with other GPS receivers is usually just a matter of making a serial cable to connect things.

According to docphi's remarks in that discussion, the GPS18 appears to have a common RS232 interface with standard signal levels. So, if that is true, then the GPS would be similar to the popular Garmin Geko 201 and would be installed on Inspire's 4-pin RS-232 port connector just like the Geko.

However, I have no experience with the GPS18 so I cannot confirm anything. It would be best to just look through the GPS's technical manual to see if it would be a good candidate for Inspire. Inspire needs a GPS that offers NMEA sentences and RS-232 port (not USB or logic level RS-232). That's not asking much, so success with other GPS receivers is usually just a matter of making a serial cable to connect things.

thanks!

now if I can find the molex plug I'll be doing good.

Inspire's 4-pin molex plug is the same type as is used on older computer sound cards to connect audio to the CD drive. Your junk drawer may already have one.