Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Help ID Tuner Module in 900Mhz A/V Rx

Does anyone know who manufactured the RF module found in the popular Racewood 900MHz A/V receiver?

It's not made by Comtech. The label on it says TBTE6CP26B3 and FD0835AT3 (the label covers stamped metal text that states "Made in China"). On the bottom of the PCB it is etched with 3V052a25. Other than that, it is about as generic as they come.

The Tuner:

post-2-1242846062_thumb.jpg

The Racewood Rx (photo courtesy of dpcav.com):

post-2-1242418987_thumb.jpg

I'm still trying to ID the source of the 900MHz tuner module. I've heard that there are more than one version/brand of the module used in this particular Rx (and the various 900MHz clones). So is there any chance one of you kind-hearted souls would check and report back the markings on yours? Maybe that would help me ID who is producing them.

Looks like the same can as many rf modules but I have never used 900Mhz, sorry.

Terry

My tuner has the following numbers on the label.

BSS479LAIDFM

0719SO430-PBF

I believe the top number is the part #.

The manufacture is Comtech which is stamped into the case.

This is their web site.

http://www.comtech-tw.com.tw/index.html

Are these receivers tuneable/repairable? I now have two that after some use began causing degraded video.

Thanks for reporting the part numbers. Your module is certainly a Comtech. From my research, it seems that there are at least three different brands of satellite tuner modules used in this receiver and its clones. That may explain why some work better than others.

I've mostly given up on trying to get Comtech to respond to my inquiries. So, I was hoping to ID the manufacturer names of the other modules (that work well) so that I could contact them. But in cases like mine, where the mfg is not marked on the module, it's tough to ID the brand. The Far East is crawling with firms that manufacture the STB RF modules. However they all look the same (but some are junk), which makes the search difficult.

Regarding the repair of your broken modules, anything is possible. But, I don't have any good tips for you. The reason I am looking for a source to a quality made Rx module is so that they could be added to the dpcav.com store. If dpcav stocked them, you would have the opportunity to repair your two broken Rx's. :)

Gary, if it is not too much trouble, could you post a clear photo of the insides of your Rx? BTW, who did you buy it from?

Thanks for the photo. It's a Racewood TR-1500 Receiver (not a copy/clone). Your RF module's pinout order is different from the ones I have. I suppose that is one of the reasons they use a simple hand-soldered cable instead of a nice PCB to connect the module (that way the mfg can easily relocate the wiring to match the particular module that is used).

One of the nice things about the Comtech module is that it is offered in a version that has a I2C programmable 27/18MHz SAW filter. We only need the 18MHz bandwidth for our use, but I think the A/V Mfg's set them to 27Mhz. Part of my lingering mad scientist plan is develop a better FPV receiver and this special feature could be one of the opportunities towards that effort.

I'm still trying to ID the source of the 900MHz tuner module. I've heard that there are more than one version/brand of the module used in this particular Rx (and the various 900MHz clones). So is there any chance one of you kind-hearted souls would check and report back the markings on yours? Maybe that would help me ID who is producing them.

Kind of late to the game, but I seem to have the same module. It has the same top number, but the bottom number is FD0906AT3. Interesting that mine was manufactured in 06/09. Was yours manufactured in 35/08?

Mine has a yellow wire that comes out near the RF connector and runs underneath the Rx between the module and the case. It isn't connected to anything on the end outside the module. Any idea what that is? It looks like an antenna. Is this a transceiver module in other applications?

Speaking to quality control, mine also has a label on the other side that says "1.3GHZ Receiver". It isn't.

Cheers,

Don

Interesting that mine was manufactured in 06/09. Was yours manufactured in 35/08?

If the unknown number is a date code then that would be it.

... It isn't connected to anything on the end outside the module. Any idea what that is? It looks like an antenna. Is this a transceiver module in other applications?

This module is just a receiver, so it does not transmit anything.

mine also has a label on the other side that says "1.3GHZ Receiver". It isn't.

These "900MHz" tuner modules can be broadly tuned and will easily support 1.3GHz. Frequency selection is performed by the MCU on the external baseband (host) board. Basically, the exact same tuner is used for 900MHz - 1.3GHz wireless video receiver designs.

Sorry for digging out this old thread but the questions fits perfectly here.

Did anyone managed to swap one fo these from 900Mhz to the 1.3Ghz range?

As 900Mhz antennas become more scarse I'd like to convert mine to use, say 1280Mhz instead. I'd still have the problem of the vTX

that probably I won't be able to covert as well but at least I'd need to buy only one part instead of two.

I would think it would need special set up gear to do it and Im sure buying new would be more cost effective. Making 900Mhz aerials is not a hard job so I would stick with it.

Terry

Hacking the 900MHz Rx to use 1.3GHz would require altering the software on the baseband board (RF tuner does not change) and then re-calibrating the video levels. I suspect you'll find some sample code if you search with Google. But I agree with Terry -- making 900MHz antennas is a very practical solution.