Sign in to follow this  
geogecko

Who makes small GPS patch antennas

I'm interested in using the FS Oncore GPS modlue from Motorola, and am needing a very small (preferably no bigger than 0.5"x1.0", smaller is better) GPS patch antenna. Does anyone know where to get one?

Regards,

Jason.

• Like 1

gpsflight.com sells one that looks pretty dang small.

I have been using an OEM garmin gps in my airplane, the 15H or 15L I can't remember which one. One takes voltage from 8-40 volts, the other has to have regulated 5 volts in. It has a fairly small antenna that I could probably open up and remove the outer plastic case and make even smaller.

www.gpscity.com is another seller of small antennas.

Matt

Digi-Key shows this 25mm square patch antenna by Toko, TK5150-ND. They also show a 18mm square non-stock. These are passive though.

I will check out gpsflight.com tomorrow. Thanks for all the useful information.

Actually, I was looking for a passive antenna. The FS Oncore made by Motorola already has an LNA built into it, so you could use a passive antenna if needed. 25mm square, that's about 1 inch. That may be small enough, but the 18mm one sounds nicer, too bad it's non-stock.

Anyone know the requirements of mounting an antenna like those? The data sheets talk about a rather large ground plane. I was thinking either same size as the antenna ground plane, or none at all.

I think I'll take a look at gpscity too. They seem to have a lot of interesting stuff. If you guys think of anything else, please let me know.

Jason.

Edited by geogecko

gpsflight's one has an integrated antenna, that's why I'chosen this one. But on the other side it needs 3.3V supply and lavels on the serial port...

Unfortunately haven't received it yet.

Thank you all for your replies. I will be able to provide possibly a 25x40mm ground plane, but that's probably it. That being said, how do you go about making the ground plane, and how do you apply the antenna.

Is the antenna just stuck to the GP with the included double sided tape? Also, isn't the connector (or pin) coming out of the back side of the antenna (e.g., the side with the tape on it)? So your PCB would have a ground plane, with an isolated plated through hole where the pin would come through, and then that would be soldered on the opposite side of the PCB?

I'm just trying to picture the way I would go about connecting it.

How was your experience with the UV40?

Jason.

I made a failed attempt to reply to your post yesterday.Unfortunately trying to add an image is a liitle'above my talent'yet.

If you e-mail me to give me your return e-mail address I will send you an image attachment of the groundplane I made.

Cheers Johnstorm.