Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

Roomba Vacuum

No doubt you've all heard about the Roomba Vacuum system. It's a battery operated floor cleaning robot. I've seen them in stores for a couple years, but like a lot of you, I ignored them. Really, how could a stupid toy dustbuster on motorized wheels work well?

Fast forward to now: That darn woot.com site, they had the Roomba 535 on sale last week for about $150 USD. Being curious, I searched around and found it was an older model (circa 2007), but it had good feedback from users. I couldn't help myself (I blame lack of sleep -- working too much), so I ordered it.

It arrived yesterday. I charged it for a few hours, watched the built-in demo (nice touch), then pressed the Clean button.

I was an idiot for waiting so long because this thing is amazing. It acts like a robotic version of the pet turtle that lives in our backyard. But unlike our do-little turtle, this thing is useful. It is much more intelligent than I ever expected and even though we just vacuumed using our upright cleaner, it picked up surprising amount of stuff that we missed.

The cool thing is that it gets under the furniture (it's very low profile) and the route it takes is surprisingly complicated and entertaining. I could go on about this thing, but my main point is that the Roomba is awesome. I hear that there is a big following of Roomba hackers that make them do even more amazing things. If I had more free time, mine would get a wireless camera for extra entertainment. Maybe one day. :)

iRobot_Roomba_535_Robotic_Vacuum_with_Lighthouse_Technologye7oThumbnail.jpg

Hehehe :)

A friend of mine also got one a couple of months ago and said just about the same as you! I haven't taken the plunge as I'm convincing myself that knowing that I always have such a mess in my flat (stuff lying all across the floor <_< ) it wouldn't help much as it wouldn't have a way to wipe more than 10% of the floor without me tidying up everything first anyway...

For the wireless camera he solved that using this one: http://www.meetrovio.com/en/products/tech/...nce/rovio/rovio

Lot of fun, particularly to play with the kitten :P

wouldn't help much as it wouldn't have a way to wipe more than 10% of the floor without me tidying up everything first anyway...

I learned the hard way about having stuff on the floor. There was a Spider plant on the fireplace that had one of its long spidery stalks touching the floor. Of course Roomba found it, and in its determination to clean it off the floor it dragged the plant off the shelf. By the time it was done "cleaning", it had ripped about 1/4 of the plant apart and sucked up all that it could. :)

I checked out the Rovio link you gave. That thing is a must-have! Price seemed reasonable too.

Yes! and it's really clever, the infrared pattern projected on the ceiling for guidance, the wheels that allow forward/backwards motion, letf/right strafe, and of course yaw... The only drawback might be camera head positioning. It's either horizontal at ground level, horizontal a bit higher, or really pointing up, but a position inbetween or freely moveable tilt angle would be nice.

The little fellow continues to impress me with its vacuuming skills. But we recently learned another Roomba life lesson this week. Apparently, it is a very bad idea to turn on the burglar alarm while it runs around and cleans. Yes, we did that, and while we were away, Roomba had been quite effective in getting two police patrol cars to our house.

When we got home a couple hours later, the message we heard on voice mail was "Sir, this is central alarm. We are seeing a lot of movement in your home and we have dispatched the police." Of couse the little vacuum was unaware of the trouble it had cause and was peacefully parked back at its charge station taking a nap.