Sign in to follow this  
giorgio

We reached 24350 feet

It's all your fault , because without reading this forum we cannot belived that we can fly so high. Thanks to everybody in particular to Ciber Flyer ( we flew 50 feet higher) for your help.

Check our update web site www.noskylimit.50megs.com for the latest movies.

Giorgio and Simone

post-6-1082951294_thumb.jpg

( we flew 50 feet higher)

Hehe he'll get some work now :)

Congratulations!

"Nice! Do you have any plans for your plane?"

Well, I did the design in the back of a kit drawing and during the construction I cut the paper several times, so the original drawing isn't good.

Now I discoverd that FAI wants a three views drawing as part of the record's docs.

So I'm redrawing the model with autocad and it will be available to everybody.

It is a very simple plane but very strong ( 4000 feet in a spin it need to be strong)

I'm also building an electric small version , the world record is very reasonable around 6,000 feet ( it is not easy with electric engine but feasible)

I do not know if we will break the record but we having a lot of fun !

Giorgio

Edited by giorgio

Very wild!

Do you know what caused the nasty tail spin? Was the FMA Co-Pilot used during that time?

Great job! This will give me incentive to go higher.

You are right about electrics - current world record seems easy to beat.

However, if I remember correctly FAI specified that no information transmitted from the plane to the pilot (both for electric and F3 class) can be used in the course of flight. This makes our FPV planes not appicable with FAI record specifications (unless we go to U class). But it doesn't mean that we can't start our own record book. ;)

Giorgio,

I've went to your web site and realized that you have used TL100 to gauge the record. I am sorry to say that TL100 is not accurate above 15,000 ft.

It errs as much as 2000 ft above 20,000 ft. The only way to get accurate record readings at this altitudes is to use GPS data. I'd say my altitude record is not beaten yet.

Regards,

Val.

Val, he also has telemetry data coming down using a setup from gpsflight.com, I am sure he double checked it on the computer screen. Right giorgio?? You did check it on the telemetry downlink????

Hope so,

Matt

For Cyber Flyer, yes you are right, the Sky spy indicate a 1000 feet more that the GPSFLIGHT gps with 10 satellites that is very accurate. I just wrote an email to Paul at Sky Spy and he admitted that there is an error possibility at that altitude So you are still the one!. No for long anyway.

What really troubles me are you comments on the FAI record that you cannot receive any data from your plane . I didn't find anything about sending data out of the plane . If this is true the TAM that just set a new FAI world record is not FAI legal.

Please let me know where you read about this rule.

Giorgio

P.S.

Did you ever safely land the airplane after it reached 24,300 feet........

Maybe you are not the one. :D

Edited by giorgio

For Matt, well Cyberflyer is right :( but thank you anyway.

You know is human nature to belive in the best thing for you. :)

Like I said on my web site ,we can be sincere here,we are doing everthing for fun!

Giorgio and Simone

Very wild!

Do you know what caused the nasty tail spin? Was the FMA Co-Pilot used during that time?

For RC Cam

Well, we are trying to figure it out, we had three spins during that flight. All over 20,000 feet.

I don't think that is the FMA autopilot,it's probably that in thin air we need more speed.

There is a table for full scale planes that tell you at what speed the plane enter in a spin at different altitudes.

Now this is our biggest problem, we had fuel and we were climbing at 7/10 feet X second that means that in a few minutes we were really close to a record flight .

The spin is our problem any ideas?.

You probably didn't notice but the field straight down is where we park our car.

During the spin Simone that was flying the plane from the video glasses was screaming M0VE THE CAR!!! :D

Giorgio and Simone

Giorgio and Simone,

You guys are doing fantastic job with that plane. I've looked at your videos and you are at 5-10 ft climb rate at the top, meaning you can easily push another 3000 ft. I wanted to say that TL100 is not an accurate device for the altitude.

I did talk to Paul from SkySpy about it and even sent him my tapes so that he can calibrate barometric sensor but I don't think he ever got to do it.

With regard to the spins:

Is your plane programmed to spin in the event of failsafe?

Co-pilot, especially 2-sensored version can create spin, did you have it ON?

If I remember it right - the rule about not using information from the plane was in FAI documents on FAI's web site. I don't have the exact reference now, it was almost 2 years ago. You better check it out. TAM plane was sending GPS data to the ground but it was on it's own course wasn't it? That is, TAM's team can say that the received information wasn't used to guide the plane. It's a speculation on my part- better check it out before you call FAI rep to sign the record.

Regards,

Val.

Is your plane programmed to spin in the event of failsafe?

Co-pilot, especially 2-sensored version can create spin, did you have it ON?

TAM plane was sending GPS data to the ground but it was on it's own course wasn't it? That is, TAM's team can say that the received information wasn't used to guide the plane.

I have the official "book" from AMA that rappresent FAI in USA. Not a word about downlink data. I will really appreciate if you can find that rule.

TAM actually sent telemetry data directly to the ground station in Irland 20 miles offshore,so the ground crew can find the plane .

It wasn't a video but a telemetry data.

If that rule is still valid that flight cannot be a FAI record.

I'm really interested to know more abouth this topic.

About the spin , no the fail safe turn on the FMA autopilot cut the engine at 50% move the camera down and activate the PDC10.

It wasn't a fail safe situation because the camera didn't move from the position and also we have a RSSI on the RC receiver ( we copied it from you) and the signal was very good ( I cannot almost belive it at 7.2 KM high). The FMA was on but not a very high sensitivity.

I'm scratching my head but I have only unproved theories!

Giorgio

I have the official "book" from AMA that rappresent FAI in USA. Not a word about downlink data.

Giorgio,

The rules may have changed from the time I looked at them, or I may not remember it right. I advise you to confirm the exact arrangement with FAI. I went to www.fai.org site but wasn't able to find F3 specific rules. F5 (electrics) rules are there:

ftp://www.fai.org/sporting_code/sc4/sc4-f5.04.zip

Look at the rule: 5.5.1.4:

5.5.1.4. Any device for the transmission of information from the model aircraft to the pilot is prohibited.

I am curious what they say about downlink - please let us know if you get an answer from them.

Regards,

Val.

Edited by cyber-flyer

[5.5.1.4. Any device for the transmission of information from the model aircraft to the pilot is prohibited.

Hello Val I wrote to AMA and FAI and I'm waiting an answer.

But reading carefully the sporting code I think that this rulle applies only during contests and not during a record attempt,at least I hope so.

What's fuel you did you use during the 24300 feet flight?

We used for the first time 30% nitro Heli fuel , for all the other fligths we used 10% nitro. We also change the fuel line set up and the prop the same flight so now we don't know what is the right modification!

Giorgio

What's fuel you did you use during the 24300 feet flight?

I used 30% nitro, it made a big difference compared to 10%-15%.

What engine do you use?

What engine do you use?

We are using a stock OS.61 FX with a small modification on the carburator intake

We tried with an Magnum .61 four stroke and an OS.46FX

We reached 15,000 and 20,000 feet with these engines.

I will post some pictures about the engine setup on the web tomorrow.

So we are using the same fuel, but at least I didn't copy that!

Giorgio