geekdisk

BADA 2.4GHz 3.5W stereo TX and RX $114

Anyone have any experience with the brand name "BaDa"? They make several 2.4ghz transmitters ranging from 500mw to this one that claims 3.5W. I noticed that the power consumption is very high on some, for example the 2W version's documentation seems to say it uses 3000mw of power at 12V.

There are several also on ebay ranging from $50-$60USD.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19831

I noticed that the power consumption is very high on some, for example the 2W version's documentation seems to say it uses 3000mw of power at 12V.

Generally speaking, I usually find that input power consumption is usually about 4X to 6X the RF's power rating. So a 3.5W (RF) rated model might become a very toasty warm Tx.

It is wise to be cautious about advertised "power" specs. There's a lot of funny numbers being published and so you can't always believe the stated watts. Many times these numbers are total fantasy (offshore eBay sellers are notorious for this). Also, in my opinion the Tx's RF power is often less important than the Rx's performance (sensitivity and selectivity). There's a lot of imported Rx's that have a hard time providing good range, even with a high powered Tx screaming at them.

So, trying the unknown A/V system brands can be a bit risky. But sometimes a gem is found. For example, all the popular and good performing systems being used by us today are due to the risk takers. Through trial and error, they picked through an endless number of systems to find those that consistently worked best. Those that have been on this forum for a long time know all about it, since just about all the popular systems sold today were identified by their efforts. :)