Vinu

CCD Camera Interface

HI all..

Fisrt of all.. I am a newbie in this , and i dont know even i am posting this in the right section. I apologize for any mistakes.

I am having a CCD Camera model : R2049 which contains 1/3" SONY HAD CCD Sensor., 420 TVLines, 0.1 Lux., Chip: Sony CXD3142R.

The output can be viewed in PC with the help of a TV Tuner Cad.

My Project is to make a CCD Based Microscope from an ordinary Visual Microscope . I have done this before successfully with the help of a webcam CCD before. I made all the integrated optics and mounts required with the help of a Local company.

Since the webcam has webcam software to inerface, the total unit lookd not at all professional in the end. I am using Free sotwares like ImageJ to analyse the O/P image data obtained from the Camera.

Now, i am trying to use this CCD to interface. The part where I am stuck up with is TV Tuner Card. This will make my project much more cheaper if i use a tv tuner card.

So, the help i needed is, is there any way that I can collect the data from the chip and use USB to interface this with PC, and write any program in Visual Studio to interface.

Does anybody has any previous experiences? Please help..

Thanxs in advance.

Well... some more details would be welcome, but as you said you most likely need an USB video capture card to interface to the PC.

Once this is installed, you have a standard video source that any video capture program on the PC will be able to access . So what you're currently using for the webcam should work just the same with this.

A webcam is the same, nothing forces you to use the supplied software to capture images from it, so you don't need to go away from them if what you want is a different software look...

I think u didnt got my point.

What i really need is some kind of video capture other than TV Tuner card to use with the CCD. I think a 'Frame Grabber Card' will be the best choice, but money is the problem. If I can design something, thats perfect.

In webcam, when we plugin the device, our PC recognizes its as a unknown device, then searches for drives, installs them. And when we open the webcamsoftware, we can see the things, and can capture video or still image from that.

I want something similar to use for the present CCD I have got.

Is this possible?

Would not the software provided in XP/Vista, Windows Movie Maker work for that on your PC? Or is it a USB interface for the CCD unit that you're asking about?

In webcam, when we plugin the device, our PC recognizes its as a unknown device, then searches for drives, installs them. And when we open the webcamsoftware, we can see the things, and can capture video or still image from that. I want something similar to use for the present CCD I have got.

It sounds like you're looking to build your own USB based video capture card. Honestly, it is hard to beat a $25 USD China made video capture adapter like the EasyCap USB 2.0 or similar products. The raw parts would cost much more and the development time would be significant.

In webcam, when we plugin the device, our PC recognizes its as a unknown device, then searches for drives, installs them. And when we open the webcamsoftware, we can see the things, and can capture video or still image from that.

I want something similar to use for the present CCD I have got.

Is this possible?

Yes, that's what I mentioned.

When you use a video capture card, it's exactly the same. Windows will install a driver, and the card will then be recognised in the exact same way than a webcam would.

Then, you need to use a video capture software (one that comes with the card, or a third-party program) to save stills or video. For example VirtualDub, but there are virtually hundreds of programs that can do it.

A USB TV tuner / video capture adapter is exactly what you need in terms of hardware. Then the job is finding the best video capture software for your needs. Ideally your analysis program would directly connect to the video source.

Edited by Kilrah

Thank you Mr.RC-Cam for the information about EasyCap USB 2.0.

I was so wondered to see such a product coz in my mind, what i thought was for interfacing such cameras to PC, TV Tuner card is the only solution. Anyway, that put some light to my quest. But,

Does this EasyCap USB 2.0 comes with a software? I am wondering that there might be some software needed to recognize this hardware to a PC and we need to install those drivers inorder to work this properly.

Then again, I am stuck up with my same old problem I had before with my Webcam camera. The interfacing software!!!

I am anyway going to try out one EasyCap USB 2.0 for test., but is there any other ideas that we can get avoid of their softwares ??

I hope anybody can help me figure this out...

Does this EasyCap USB 2.0 comes with a software? I am wondering that there might be some software needed to recognize this hardware to a PC and we need to install those drivers inorder to work this properly.

Then again, I am stuck up with my same old problem I had before with my Webcam camera. The interfacing software!!!

I am anyway going to try out one EasyCap USB 2.0 for test., but is there any other ideas that we can get avoid of their softwares ??

As I said above, yes there is a driver that you need to install, but after that you can use any capture software you want. There are many many out there, so most likely there are some that will suit your needs.