Sign in to follow this  
Corey

12V Power Supply

I'm currently using four 900mhz video receivers and four patch antennas on one of my FPV set-ups. The receivers are connected to two Oracle diversity receivers and each Oracle receiver sends its output to a third Oracle receiver. That's seven separate power requirements. The four receivers each have their own small 2 cell lipo battery and I have been using a 3 cell 2200mah lipo with a single home-made connector that feeds all three diversity receivers with power. It seems to work pretty well but I've been thinking I'd rather use a single 12 power supply off a generator or something so I don't have to worry about which battery is still good and which is running down. Is a portable generator with a 110V multi-outlet strip and all the various adapters plugged into it a good solution, or is there something that might work better?

Also, I want to use a 3 cell 2200mah lipo to power a 12V video tx and 12V camera on one of my planes because I could use the weight for proper CG. Will using a battery with that much capacity cause any problems when they only recommend 500mah for each piece of equipment?

I'd make that simpler.

So apparently your video receivers need a 2s lipo? surprising, all those I've seen needed either fixed 5V or 8-12V. What are they?

Anyway, as the Oracle supports voltages down to 6V, I'd just use a single large 2s lipo, with the bunch of cables going to everybody.

Regarding the mAh rating, it's a capacity unit. Think of a smaller or larger bottle. Using a larger bottle than needed won't hurt anything, the only side effect is that it will last longer.

They recommend 500mAh as it allows decent running time with minimal weight, which is what most people want, but there's no restriction about putting something bigger if you can accomodate the weight.

Edited by Kilrah

I agree with Kilrah, just run it all on a big capacity 2S LiPO. However, if you need to run from a single 12V source then maybe a couple of AnyVolt voltage regulators from Dimension Engineering would be helpful on the Rx's.

I'm currently using four 900mhz video receivers and four patch antennas on one of my FPV set-ups. The receivers are connected to two Oracle diversity receivers and each Oracle receiver sends its output to a third Oracle receiver.

That's a lot of Oracles! :) Have you used that setup for long and how is it working out for you?

I agree with Kilrah, just run it all on a big capacity 2S LiPO. However, if you need to run from a single 12V source then maybe a couple of AnyVolt voltage regulators from Dimension Engineering would be helpful on the Rx's.

That's a lot of Oracles! :) Have you used that setup for long and how is it working out for you?

Thanks for the information guys! My bad Kilrah, turns out the receivers are actually each running on their own single-cell li-ion battery. I'm going to replace them with receivers that don't have a battery and require a 12V input. I'm now thinking maybe an 8000mah 3-cell lipo with 7 separate connectors going out to the various devices might be good.

Regarding how the set-up is working with 3 Oracles, this video I posted on YouTube was done with the same set-up, except on this one I was using two Yagi antennas and two Patch antennas with the 3 Oracles.

Corey

Thanks for the video (cool superman view). It looks like the cascaded Oracles do very well!